Bought a new Paph. lebaudyanum but I'm already noticing brown leaf tips on a new growth less than a week of having it..... I used 1/4 fert when wateri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make it a habit of not watering or fertilizing any new plants right away. I want them to have time to adjust to my conditions. I may water three to five days later after the new arrival has dried out completely. I have lost too many plants due to rot.
They get packed up damp sometimes. Sit in a box for 3-5, sometimes 7 days. Like I said, I want them dry. Then they go on my watering schedule. With all of my Paphiopedilums, Phalaenopsis and Phragmipediums, I repot roughly two weeks after they arrive. Why? Because I want them potted into my mix, I want to get them in the proper size pot, AND I want to see the roots.
Then after the repotting, I am less likely to have any “surprises”!!!
I might fertilize if they look good after a month. By holding back fertilizer, I am not harming anything.

I do that with every single plant I buy, that’s over a 45+ year period.

You should unpot the plant to see how the roots are doing. When roots are poor the plant leaves turn yellow to black and often affecting the new leaves.

I follow the same approach as big23cat and withhold fertilizer, but I do water with Kelpak and Quantum, as that reinforces the plant's reserves, stimulates new root growth and branching, and helps attach pathogens.

Also he sells these grow cubes and I put a layer of those at the top and then put some bark to cover them. This keeps it moist were the new roots come out but let's it have air flow. Also get that spagnum moss out of here;)

Calcium just a guess. If you have good roots and I'm sure it has with the look of that plant, yellow turning brown tips is more like lack of calcium. I have this with haynaldianums. Check your source of calcium or lack of it, might be the cause.
Another question is SlipperKing's question.

Latest posts

Back