Taxonomy Dendr. cuthbertsonii vs. Dendr.agathodaemonis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendelin

Reaction score
Perhaps somebody can help!
I read somewhere that cuthbertsonii always gets the stripe on the labellum and agathodaemonis doesn't. Is that the only way you can tell them apart?
I know some taxonomists believe that Dendr.agathodaemonis belongs to Dendr.cuthbertsonii but lets just say it doesn't.

I believe the second one should also be called agathodaemonis:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/3206841818/
http://i.pbase.com/t1/48/839548/4/126941063.qYhFXJmE.jpg

If somebody gets more informations about this issue I'd be glad to share your knowledge!:wink:

The traders have 3 categories:

cuthbertsonii: traditional thing we see everywhere.
agathodaemonis is a small leafed cuthbertsonii, the leaves are smoother than a cuth.
sophronitis, very rare, the bulbs are on a rhizome like a bulbo, very tiny bulbs, very tiny leaves, look like an etiolated seedling of cuthbertsonii. The bloom is only orange or red, very big.

For the taxonomist, I don't know what they do with those three name, but for the trade, that's what is expected.

The traders have 3 categories:

cuthbertsonii: traditional thing we see everywhere.
agathodaemonis is a small leafed cuthbertsonii, the leaves are smoother than a cuth.
sophronitis, very rare, the bulbs are on a rhizome like a bulbo, very tiny bulbs, very tiny leaves, look like an etiolated seedling of cuthbertsonii. The bloom is only orange or red, very big.

For the taxonomist, I don't know what they do with those three name, but for the trade, that's what is expected.
For the taxonomists these three things are the same ... and as D. cuthbertsonii is the oldest valid name (as far as I know .... I haven't looked it up in ages ... but if someone want me to, I will) ... they go under D. cuthbertsonii.

Thanks, so far.
That means, the plant called Dendr. agathodaemonis should rather be called Dendr. cuthbertsonii forma/var. agathodaemonis?
Is that the most recent state of affairs? In Taxonomies things are often changing a lot.

And in that case, what makes agathodaemonis be its own forma/var.? Just the different leaves/slim growth-habit or the non-existing stripe on the labellum, like I mentioned before. I'd realy love to know how Taxonomists are working in this case.

I get both at home and they look quite different to me.

Thanks, so far.
That means, the plant called Dendr. agathodaemonis should rather be called Dendr. cuthbertsonii forma/var. agathodaemonis?
Is that the most recent state of affairs? In Taxonomies things are often changing a lot.

And in that case, what makes agathodaemonis be its own forma/var.? Just the different leaves/slim growth-habit or the non-existing stripe on the labellum, like I mentioned before. I'd realy love to know how Taxonomists are working in this case.

I don't know if taxonomists got live material of all of those and studied them well. As for the variability, there are no known intermediate between those three horticultural forms, so they could be placed or described as new varieties or species ( sophronitis is way different from cuthbertsonii than decockii is). On the other side, we call those plants agathodaemonis, sophronitis, but I did not see the original description. Maybe the two later names are indeed cuthbertsonii synonyms, but the plants traded under that name are undescribed varieties or species...

Thanks, so far.

No, that means that agathodaemonis (published 1910) would be a synonym of cuthbertsonii (published 1888) unless there is a difference that is clear. in that case, it could be considered a subspecies, a variant, or a form, depending on how distinct that difference is. And where is the difference between cuthbertsonii and sophronitis (published 1914)?? ...

No, that means that agathodaemonis (published 1910) would be a synonym of cuthbertsonii (published 1888) unless there is a difference that is clear. in that case, it could be considered a subspecies, a variant, or a form, depending on how distinct that difference is. And where is the difference between cuthbertsonii and sophronitis (published 1914)?? ...

cuthbertsonii in the trade is the widespread one...

agathodaemonis bulbs are long and extremely thin
denagathadaemonis.jpg

Photo courtesy of orchidspecies.com

sophronitis looks like that:
Dendrobium_cuthbertsonii_New_Guinea.jpg

Creeping rhizome, extremely tiny bulbs. The space between the bulbs is never below 2cm, usually few centimeters (that photo is not very usual). They mostly arrive dead.

The flowers when compared side by side are indeed different...

No, that means that agathodaemonis (published 1910) would be a synonym of cuthbertsonii (published 1888) unless there is a difference that is clear. ........
What could that be? To me , the growths of agathodaemonis, very slender bulbs with narrow thin leaves, are quite different from cuthbertsonii growths, thick, round bulbs and rigid leaves.
What is it, taxonomists are looking for, in case they want to check relationships between plants?

Last edited:
What could that be? To me , the growths of agathodaemonis, very slender bulbs with narrow thin leaves, are quite different from cuthbertsonii growths, thick, round bulbs and rigid leaves.
What is it, taxonomists are looking for, in case they want to check relationships between plants?

The taxonomist care about the flowers, in this case, they are clearly very close. But they could deserve the status of genuine varieties, for me that's quite clear... The other thing, the plants sold as 'sophronitis' are always red-orange, it does not exist any other color.

A diffence that is clear....?! Okay, I guess we can supply that. Though "A diffence that is clear" in the case of cuthbertsonii, very much depends (in the true sence of the meaning) on the beholders eyesight! Let me give it a quick go:

First things first:

Well, I’m not really skilled in any way whatsoever when it comes to taxonomy.

To be very honest: 99% of the time I could not care less, and in some cases it point blank annoys me.
In the case of cuthbertsonii I have a few ideas of my own, but they will not really exhaust any scientific or taxonomically relevant demands.

It is my believe that for more than one reason, (and I guess there`s taxonomically valid stuff in there as well) cuthbertsonii and agathodaemonis need to be regarded as different species. There, I said it!
Having said that, let me start by pointing out that I only started collecting both species very recently, but have been involved with both on a propagation level for about 20 years. I’ve known for many years that both “names” require the ultimate skill, and a hardcore technical set-up to be cultivated successfully over time. Infact, I would go as far as to say that there’s probably not much else on this planet that could beat cuthbertsonii when it comes to “killed-in-cultivation-rates”. Generally that was the reason why I only recently started to collect these plants. That technically demanding aspect was one point, but since I feel confident to now have the set-up required (at the lowest possible level) I started buying a few plants, KNOWING that I’m buying trouble as well as asking for trouble. The other matter is availability and plant quality. It has only been for a year or so now, that fantastic quality plants are becoming available in Europe, mostly originating from the U.S. and Japan. For many years cuthbersonii was kept a secret, and very few people could actually find/buy plants of insufficient quality, most of them direct imports form PNG, and therefore doomed to die within the first few days unless they were started off in a fully automated cold-house.
These days cuthbertsonii is as available as it never was available before. Not just that, also some of the quality we see is star-raving-madness. They come in most colours (except yellow and white), even bicolors, and sometimes with 50+ bulbs. That basically just means: someone out there hast mastered their needs… This will go on for as long as it will take most people to kill their plants, which they will. It’s a basic and simple matter of time. Killing a 50+ bulb plant will just take a bit longer… I have no doubts that this will have been achieved in about 6 months form now, when cuthbertsonii (again) will be called “impossible to be cultivated” and the likes of Popow and other reputable importing nurseries will have to deal with angry customers every other day demanding their money back. They will then again stop dealing with cuthbertsonii, and we’ll be back to square one….
I myself start seeing the first signs of trouble with my plants after 6-8 months, meaning: I have to change and adapt in order to keep my plants alive. It comes down to admitting for all of us that finding great plants does not mean we’ll be okay and happily ever after…, or blame it on the nursery we got them from, but to admit that no matter what our skills are: we’re just dealing with a very tricky, complex and let’s face it, difficult group of plants here (coming from one of the most extreme habitats possible), and that very few of us know how to cultivate well over time. In other words: we’re dealing with plants, which an overwhelming share of its keepers kills within no time…

What an outbreak ey!!! Sorry for this insight into a very mad orchid mind!

Now, what sets these 2 apart? Dend. cuthbertsonii morphologically look completely different to agathodaemonis. That’s my most important point.
First up, and most importantly we have to distinguish 2 different groups of cuthbertsonii as far as I can talk about them. There’s the standard, wild collected plant from PNG, which is currently imported into Europe by the tens of thousands. They come as tiny divisions, rootless, dehydrated, with no more than 4-6 bulbs, mostly shedding their first leafs by the time they arrive here. The dealer in Europe will mount these as quickly as possible and sell them on for €15 (retail) as quick as he can, not to loose his investment. I’d guess that 80% of these plants are dead within 4 weeks after leaving PNG or Indonesia. The other group comes from the U.S. or Japan. These plants are a very VERY different kettle of fish, ultra-high-end breeding plants, selected for colour, vigour and most importantly: chromosome reasons. Looking at plants as well as flowers these are mostly 3N or 4N plants, and you’ll not find this information on the labels. These 50+ bulb plants have been selectively bred for appearance and size. Normally these plants are 2 to 3x the physical size of a wild collected plant, and that is not due to cultivation. When comparing these cuthbersonii plants, especially within judging, it will become impossible for the judges to tell the differences between them. They will therefore potentially deal with a normal 2n plant vs. a 4n or 7n plant, resulting in unfairness and confusion because they’ll be asked to compare a Ferrari with a Scoda (built in 1982).

Given, that from a taxonomist perspective we can agree that these 2 different “versions” of “modern cuthbertsonii breeding” exist?!, I would suggest a second point, more an idea, for which I have no proof. Geographical distance can be a valid point when naming plants, right??? I have a very strong feeling, based on cultural experience, that Dend. agathodaemonis would grow in a much different habitat or at the very least lower altitude than cuthbertsonii. From what I have seen in my culture agathodaemonis demands much higher temperatures to do well. Not just that: high temperatures seem to trigger massive vegetative growing. If that would be true: I would suggest that agathodaemonis grows on considerably lower altitudes than cuthbertsonii. Taxonomically: would that not at least give way to reason that we’d potentially be talking about a different population, maybe even and evolutionary separate population of what could have been one and the same a long time ago?
Let me just work in a few pictures for your consideration. It’s much easier to show the differences, than to type another hour….

Here’s what I’m cultivating as Dend. agathodaemonis:
By the way: has anyone besides me wondered why agathodaemonis comes in deep red, and pink only, but cuthbertsonii in nearly every possible colour including all shades of bicolor? It seems odd that agathodaemonis does not appear to be covering that sort of spectrum, does it not? Besides: I’ve not even heard of a pink agathodaemonis in Europe yet… which…talking available material means: agathodaemonis is reduced to only one available colour in Europe, being red.

5743066712_8bdf5dd3a6_z.jpg

5594606945_5e8731eeee_z.jpg

5594606019_ce480efe2e_z.jpg

On the other side, this is one of my possibly 4n or 3n plants, could they look more different to agathodaemonis?

5594610313_761aec7ce0_z.jpg

5591535515_0c46662cf7_z.jpg

5592125618_c7e0ab6c39_z.jpg

Another, 3rd point would be: cuthbersonii other than agathodaemonis has hairy, nobbly capsules, or has (altogether) as a plant, a hairy, nobbly disposition…

Non-hair agathodaemonis detail:

5969751063_ce8aaa5dd3_z.jpg

Dend. cuthbertsonii detail:

5970307280_7d57d2e3be_z.jpg

This is just to compare a few flowers. I’ve pinched a agathodaemonis flower and placed it on a cuthbertsonii just to show the minor flower differences… see if you can tell them apart!

5969750355_088c38e4a7_z.jpg

5969747995_7742564668_z.jpg

Normal orange cuthbertsonii vs. potential 4N bicolor:

5970303702_8ab17aafd7_z.jpg

5594608059_88fa15b06f_z.jpg

Enough for one day….
Over’n out!

A diffence that is clear....?! Okay, I guess we can supply that. Though "A diffence that is clear" in the case of cuthbertsonii, very much depends (in the true sence of the meaning) on the beholders eyesight! Let me give it a quick go:

First things first:

To be very honest: 99% of the time I could not care less, and in some cases it point blank annoys me.
In the case of cuthbertsonii I have a few ideas of my own, but they will not really exhaust any scientific or taxonomically relevant demands.

It is my believe that for more than one reason, (and I guess there`s taxonomically valid stuff in there as well) cuthbertsonii and agathodaemonis need to be regarded as different species. There, I said it!
Having said that, let me start by pointing out that I only started collecting both species very recently, but have been involved with both on a propagation level for about 20 years. I’ve known for many years that both “names” require the ultimate skill, and a hardcore technical set-up to be cultivated successfully over time. Infact, I would go as far as to say that there’s probably not much else on this planet that could beat cuthbertsonii when it comes to “killed-in-cultivation-rates”. Generally that was the reason why I only recently started to collect these plants. That technically demanding aspect was one point, but since I feel confident to now have the set-up required (at the lowest possible level) I started buying a few plants, KNOWING that I’m buying trouble as well as asking for trouble. The other matter is availability and plant quality. It has only been for a year or so now, that fantastic quality plants are becoming available in Europe, mostly originating from the U.S. and Japan. For many years cuthbersonii was kept a secret, and very few people could actually find/buy plants of insufficient quality, most of them direct imports form PNG, and therefore doomed to die within the first few days unless they were started off in a fully automated cold-house.
These days cuthbertsonii is as available as it never was available before. Not just that, also some of the quality we see is star-raving-madness. They come in most colours (except yellow and white), even bicolors, and sometimes with 50+ bulbs. That basically just means: someone out there hast mastered their needs… This will go on for as long as it will take most people to kill their plants, which they will. It’s a basic and simple matter of time. Killing a 50+ bulb plant will just take a bit longer… I have no doubts that this will have been achieved in about 6 months form now, when cuthbertsonii (again) will be called “impossible to be cultivated” and the likes of Popow and other reputable importing nurseries will have to deal with angry customers every other day demanding their money back. They will then again stop dealing with cuthbertsonii, and we’ll be back to square one….
I myself start seeing the first signs of trouble with my plants after 6-8 months, meaning: I have to change and adapt in order to keep my plants alive. It comes down to admitting for all of us that finding great plants does not mean we’ll be okay and happily ever after…, or blame it on the nursery we got them from, but to admit that no matter what our skills are: we’re just dealing with a very tricky, complex and let’s face it, difficult group of plants here (coming from one of the most extreme habitats possible), and that very few of us know how to cultivate well over time. In other words: we’re dealing with plants, which an overwhelming share of its keepers kills within no time…

Now, what sets these 2 apart? Dend. cuthbertsonii morphologically look completely different to agathodaemonis. That’s my most important point.
First up, and most importantly we have to distinguish 2 different groups of cuthbertsonii as far as I can talk about them. There’s the standard, wild collected plant from PNG, which is currently imported into Europe by the tens of thousands. They come as tiny divisions, rootless, dehydrated, with no more than 4-6 bulbs, mostly shedding their first leafs by the time they arrive here. The dealer in Europe will mount these as quickly as possible and sell them on for €15 (retail) as quick as he can, not to loose his investment. I’d guess that 80% of these plants are dead within 4 weeks after leaving PNG or Indonesia. The other group comes from the U.S. or Japan. These plants are a very VERY different kettle of fish, ultra-high-end breeding plants, selected for colour, vigour and most importantly: chromosome reasons. Looking at plants as well as flowers these are mostly 3N or 4N plants, and you’ll not find this information on the labels. These 50+ bulb plants have been selectively bred for appearance and size. Normally these plants are 2 to 3x the physical size of a wild collected plant, and that is not due to cultivation. When comparing these cuthbersonii plants, especially within judging, it will become impossible for the judges to tell the differences between them. They will therefore potentially deal with a normal 2n plant vs. a 4n or 7n plant, resulting in unfairness and confusion because they’ll be asked to compare a Ferrari with a Scoda (built in 1982).

Given, that from a taxonomist perspective we can agree that these 2 different “versions” of “modern cuthbertsonii breeding” exist?!, I would suggest a second point, more an idea, for which I have no proof. Geographical distance can be a valid point when naming plants, right??? I have a very strong feeling, based on cultural experience, that Dend. agathodaemonis would grow in a much different habitat or at the very least lower altitude than cuthbertsonii. From what I have seen in my culture agathodaemonis demands much higher temperatures to do well. Not just that: high temperatures seem to trigger massive vegetative growing. If that would be true: I would suggest that agathodaemonis grows on considerably lower altitudes than cuthbertsonii. Taxonomically: would that not at least give way to reason that we’d potentially be talking about a different population, maybe even and evolutionary separate population of what could have been one and the same a long time ago?
Let me just work in a few pictures for your consideration. It’s much easier to show the differences, than to type another hour….

By the way: has anyone besides me wondered why agathodaemonis comes in deep red, and pink only, but cuthbertsonii in nearly every possible colour including all shades of bicolor? It seems odd that agathodaemonis does not appear to be covering that sort of spectrum, does it not? Besides: I’ve not even heard of a pink agathodaemonis in Europe yet… which…talking available material means: agathodaemonis is reduced to only one available colour in Europe, being red.

On the other side, this is one of my possibly 4n or 3n plants, could they look more different to agathodaemonis?

Another, 3rd point would be: cuthbersonii other than agathodaemonis has hairy, nobbly capsules, or has (altogether) as a plant, a hairy, nobbly disposition…

This is just to compare a few flowers. I’ve pinched a agathodaemonis flower and placed it on a cuthbertsonii just to show the minor flower differences… see if you can tell them apart!

Enough for one day….
Over’n out!
Part 1 ( I have to do this in 2 parts because the text is too long ... they say) OK ... here is the taxonomist that annaoys you. But I have one question to begin with ... you say "99% of the time you don't care". So why do you make such a fuss about it. If you don't care ... sell them as separate species ... (I don't care) and in this (supposedly) free world, anyone has the right to make a fool of him/herself.

Now for the 1% you claim to care:
1) you are not a taxonomist ... did you study botany? ... I guess not (but maybe I am mistaken) ... so why do you think you know better than the taxonomists?
2) having collected a plant for 20 years are not does not qualify you as a botanist. I gives you insight into its ecology, which is important, and even part of taxonomy (as I see it).

(to be continued)

First things first:

Enough for one day….
Over’n out!
Part #2

3) cuthbertsonii is never been a secret. It was just that the plant was generally referred to by most taxonomists (including myself) as D. sophronites ... and that was a mistake. Also Richard Warren has been propagating cuthbertsonii in all variations by seed for about 30 years now.
4) why would Popow and his colleagues have customers come and ask their money back? And if so, what does this have to do with the taxonomy of the species?
5) you talk of morphological differences .. but you don't say which ones.
6) No plant what so ever is being imported into Europe by the "tens of thousands" (except for Dutch tulips). ... There just isn't a market ... In the whole of Europe ther may be 200-300 people that would buy an imported plant ... if at all. Don't forget ... plenty of seedlings from Richard are now full grown and blooming plants.

(to be continued)

First things first:

Enough for one day….
Over’n out!
Part # 3

7) growing at different altitudes is not a taxonomic characteristic ... but different altitudes CAN have an impact om the morphology of the plant (not the flower ... ).

So instead of ranting and writing stuff that is not at all important for taxonomy, why don't you get to the basics, and label your pictures properly. What I KNOW is the following:
a) cuthbertsonii and sophronites are conspecific ... means they are the same thing under different names.
b) if your top picture is what you call agathodaemonis, I will grant you that I think seeing a difference in the size of the lip ... however, I would have to have better photographs (close-ups) of ther flower and especially of the column with lip. Then I can try to decide whether we have two different species ...
From the pictures you have posted, I can't see ANY difference

Sorry to say, but then: You have missed the entire question. These things can't be discussed in black and white. If that is what you need to do to your work I can't help.
And:part # 3

"7) growing at different altitudes is not a taxonomic characteristic ... but different altitudes CAN have an impact om the morphology of the plant (not the flower ... )." so sorry, you've lost me there agin! The plant is different, but the flower isn't? Is that why I'm not really inerested in taxonomy?

First of all, thanks, John Boy, for having an open mind and sharing your thoughts and pictures with us! Very important!

For instance , this hairy flower thing I didn't know.
To Mr. Bream: Picture 7 shows no hair on the flowerstem alongside the spur of a agathodaemonis flower.The next picture shows, that cuthbertsonii gets a lot of hair there. So not just the plants ,also the flowers show differences. They are consistent in shape but that's all.

Sorry to say, but then: You have missed the entire question. These things can't be discussed in black and white. If that is what you need to do to your work I can't help.
And:part # 3

"7) growing at different altitudes is not a taxonomic characteristic ... but different altitudes CAN have an impact om the morphology of the plant (not the flower ... )." so sorry, you've lost me there agin! The plant is different, but the flower isn't? Is that why I'm not really inerested in taxonomy?
Biology is not philosophy ... either there are differences are there are none. I don't need to work on "thing being between black and white". If you want that ask Heather whthere we have a psychologist on the forum.

And the fact is that differences in plants can be caused by climatic differences ... It seems you don't understand anything about the issue.

First of all, thanks, John Boy, for having an open mind and sharing your thoughts and pictures with us! Very important!

For instance , this hairy flower thing I didn't know.
To Mr. Bream: Picture 7 shows no hair on the flowerstem alongside the spur of a agathodaemonis flower.The next picture shows, that cuthbertsonii gets a lot of hair there. So not just the plants ,also the flowers show differences. They are consistent in shape but that's all.
OK .. so I will shave to morrow morning and sign in with a second identity. Hairiness on a flower alone is not enough to make ANYTHING different

OK .. so I will shave to morrow morning and sign in with a second identity. Hairiness on a flower alone is not enough to make ANYTHING different
Nobody said that!
If you are working on a new identity, you are not trying to put facts together ,have an eye on coincidences, and so on? That's what's happening here.
We are not trying to sign in a new species we are trying to learn!

Biology is not philosophy ... either there are differences are there are none. I don't need to work on "thing being between black and white". If you want that ask Heather whthere we have a psychologist on the forum.

And the fact is that differences in plants can be caused by climatic differences ... It seems you don't understand anything about the issue.

Fine, there's one word for what you say:

Rubbish!!!

PS: "And the fact is that differences in plants can be caused by climatic differences ... It seems you don't understand anything about the issue"

It must be very comforting to have a fixed income as a prof., I wish I was one, at least I would be right by "job-profile"!

Sorry not to be able to talk to you!

with all the respect, this is the MOST childish comment I have ever read coming from a taxonomist (and yes, I know and have worked with MANY of them!)

It wouldn't be the first time two species are separated, only because one is hirsute and the other not!

as for teh dendrobium species discussed here, whether they are two different species or not, I think it onl yhave to wait until someone revise the section of the genus with a different mind and separate them... I think along thi sthread, several differences between both "species" have been shown... if someone does not want to see, he/she will not see them, but I do not think it is a reason to attack anyone here...

Thansk John Boy for the pictures (yes, I agree with Braem, they should have been better labelled! :D) and pointing out what you have seen working with them.

Back