Richteri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
This plant has been sulking for the last couple of years since I moved it to SH. But it's starting to put on bigger growths again and looking better. This spike is not showing any signs of branching yet, but the flower is not bad.

Strange interesting flower...for a normal richterii.Couriouds to see the second one...

A lot of red in this clone.It is verified as richteri?

Without a legal Chain of Custody going back to the original collection, or DNA evidence I don't think you really can verify any species plant.

The parents are listed as green giant X sib. I got this plant from Helen Hirsch, who got it from Oz. This particular flower is a bit more strongly pigmented than previous blooms. I've posted this flower a few times over the years, so might need to look these up for comparison since this is the first time the identity has been questioned.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14550 Try this flower from 2009 Stay Warm!!

Last edited:
So Rick, This flowering now is the same plant flowering back in 09? Amazing the changes you can get when the growing conditions have been altered.

So Rick, This flowering now is the same plant flowering back in 09? Amazing the changes you can get when the growing conditions have been altered.

Yup
This plant in particular has demonstrated huge variability in growth habit as well as flower quality over the years. Presently all the growths are smaller than for my largest pearcei. In past years it was a good 50% bigger than my largest pearcei. In the past spikes could reach 2+ft, and this spike is about a foot in length. This is one of the larger and darker flowers, despite the small growth habit.

Latest posts

Back