The story Paph. callosum 'jac'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cliokchi

Hi guys,

here's the picture that Norris H Powell from the Orchid House took when it flowered for the first time after he brought it back from The Netherlands
the name 'Jack' is the first name of the Dutch Orchid grower mr. Jac Falstar
from Naaldwijk near Rotterdam.
Norris was in the Netherlands to join the European orchid congress in Amsterdam at that time.
Norris asked me to join him help him find a few orchid nurseries , I'm dutch but spoke fluently english so we left for Naaldwijk
i was the official dedicated translator/tourguide on this trip,

upon arriving in the Jac Falstar nursery Norris could not believe his eyes when he saw the tenthousands and ten thousands of paph species ,
callosum 3 different types, Paph. gratixianum laos uncountable in quantities.
Paph. concolor, sukhahulii, niveum and Paph . faireanum ,Norris first started to select the faireanums he choose about 50 diff faireanum
all plants were jungle collect [Holland did not join CITES till 1989]

then we walked over to the callosums and there was standing out like a sore thumb Paph. callosum black
Norris asked how much for this plant and if Jac Falstar was willing to part with it ,
he answered you like it you keep it for free , Falstar said i don't like it's color to Dark ! , it's then that Norris gave the plant it's varietal name
Paph. callosum 'jac'

nobody realized at that moment it would be one of the main building blocks of a whole new type of Paph. hybrids the Vinicolors,
in the 90's becoming the new craze and rang the bell for the demise of Complex Paph. hybrids

For Dot as you can see the original picture already shows it's habit of making crooked S shaped flower spikes.
another long history lesson,
I hope I don't bore the forum which such detailed info ,
i hope it's useful for somebody
cliokchi:eek:

Attachments

• Paph. callosum 'jac'.jpg
    Paph. callosum 'jac'.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 136
Very interesting story. Thanks for your post. Lucky you are to live in Thailand !

Thanks for the tale. I wish I could go there to see everything with my own eye. :)

Thanks for this thread, cliokchi! I like all these history or breeding or selecting lessens! It is always interesting to learn about the milestones of paph-history!

HI ross,

they were found among Paph. callosum 'laos'
i've never heard of any more plants surfacing of it all though millions
were imported into the Netherlands, i live now for 16 yrs in thailand
and i'm in daily contact with the suppliers of callosum 'laos'
i've never heard of another one being offered for sale !
i think all the other vini callosum came from the selfing,
the sib cross with callosum 'laos' and the sib of 'jac' x 'sparkling burgundy' from rex van delden over at Stewart's
during my stay in the Netherlands i came across 5 Callosum 'thailandense' vini
there's a few of these at the project Doi tung collection
in those days in the Netherlands it was quiet common to come a cross
Paph. callosum 'laos' alba or Paph. callosum 'sublaeve' alba or callosum 'thailandense' alba
the growers in Holland would keep them a side for me because
they couldn't mix them with their regular callosum potplants
i'm not such a big fan of the splitter mentality of some of our taxonomists
i think in my opininion you need to have at least a differentiated paph population
and not being represented by a single occurence !
cliokchi;)

Thanks for the story! :) Isn't callosum 'Jac' now considered to be Paph viniferum? I notice on the photo of 'Jac' that the petals are covered with warts,

Very interesting story Cliokchi. Sounds like it is just an individual mutation rather than from a population. I have a flask of the selfing of vinferum 'Jac' (from Sam Tsui) that I am currently raising slowly. What would you expect them to tun out like?

David

Hi David,
they all come out quiet close to the original,
i find it highly questionable that Sam Tsui had an original division of viniferum 'jac' still alive
it's more likely that he has a selfing of Callosum 'jac' which is basically the same,

i just saw recently that joe kunisch from Bloomfield orchids
has flasks for sale of callosum 'jac' x self for $ 125,--
cliokchi :)

Very interesting story Cliokchi. Sounds like it is just an individual mutation rather than from a population. I have a flask of the selfing of vinferum 'Jac' (from Sam Tsui) that I am currently raising slowly. What would you expect them to tun out like?

David

....Norris H Powell from the Orchid House took when it flowered for the first time after he brought it back from The Netherlands
the name 'Jack' is the first name of the Dutch Orchid grower mr. Jac Falstar
from Naaldwijk near Rotterdam.
Hi Cliokchi,
the story of P. callosum 'Jac' was published in 'DIE ORCHIDEE' 01/2001 by Harold Koopowitz, Norito Hasgawa and Olaf Gruß.
Most of the story there is the same as yours. But there are also differences.
They claimed 'JAC' is the abbreviation of Just Another Callosum.
The image you show is also there but it's titled 'Paphiopedilum viniferum 'Ebon'.
They said that the petals of 'Ebon' are in an angle of about 45° and that of 'JAC' hang more downwards!

Last edited:
hi Guru,

I was there present when it happened !
i'm now 52 then i was 17/18]
cliokchi :poke:

Hi Cliokchi,
the story of P. callosum 'Jac' was published in 'DIE ORCHIDEE' 01/2001 by Harold Koopowitz, Norito Hasgawa and Olaf Gruß.
Most of the Story there is the same as yours. But there are also differences.
They claimed 'JAC' is the abbreviation of Just Another Callosum.
The image you show is also there but it's titled 'Paphiopedilum viniferum 'Ebon'.
They said that the petals of 'Ebon' are in an angle of about 45° and that of 'JAC' hang more downwards!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Guru,

I was there present when it happened !
i'm now 52 then i was 17/18]
cliokchi :poke:

Hi Cliokchi,
I'm pretty sure you are remembering properly and obviously your information is based at first hand!
I just said what was written in that article nothing more and nothig less.
They also said that the origin of the plants was Burma and they were brought to Europe by Kees SAHIN a well known Dutch vendor.
According to that article the clone 'Ebon' was bought by Emerson 'Doc' Charles.

Last edited:
hi Guru,

Burma is completely wrong ,it was Laos Kees Sahin was right i forgot to mention this, he was a kind of Plant hunter,
he was the one that supplied Paph. callosum' laos' and the huge quantities of Paph. gratixianum to Jac Falstar
The clone 'ebon' came from the first flasks of 'Jac' x self
thanx cliokchi;)

Hi Cliokchi,
I'm pretty sure you are remembering properly and obviously your information are based at first hand!
I just said what was written in that article nothing more and nothig less.
They also said that the origin of the plants was Burma and they were brought to Europe by Kees SAHIN a well known Dutch vendor.
According to that article the clone 'Ebon' was bought by Emerson 'Doc' Charles.

Back