Yellow Ladyslippers - 3 varieties, 6 clones

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first orchid — April 1957 — was a mail order Cypripedium pubescens, the Large Yellow Ladyslipper. The poor thing spent several tortured months in an apartment west window before passing away. The species is still my favorite. I’m currently kindly growing 3 species varieties: Cypripediums pubescens (4 clones), parviflorum var. parviflorum, and parviflorum var. makasin. Of the large yellow pubescens, my best clones are ‘Vigrous’ , a very typical large form, and ‘Chestnut’ with richer brown sepals and petals. Three of the pubescens clones were acquired 40 years ago from a now-defunct Michigan wildflower nursery. The fourth, a large but paler example was acquired from Wayside Gardens a year later. The Southern Small Yellow Ladyslipper, parviflorum var. parviflorum, came as a mislabelled plant from a North Carolina wildflower nursery. Its flowers are ⅓ the size of the pubescens. It grows and multiplies well in hot, humid Baltimore. The parviflorum var. makasin came as seedlings from Spangle Creek Labs of Bovey, Minnesota. It struggles in the Baltimore heat. I have one surviving specimen, but it is multiplying and increasing in size. Most were growing in the dappled shade of large tulip poplars. The trees had to be removed last fall, so they are in very bright light now. Companion plants include Twin Leaf, Bloodroot, Trilliums, and Solomon’s Seal.

Attachments

• Cyp pubescens Vigrous and Chestnut IMG_9855.jpeg
    Cyp pubescens Vigrous and Chestnut IMG_9855.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Cyp parviflorum ssp parviflorum IMG_9856.jpeg
    Cyp parviflorum ssp parviflorum IMG_9856.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Well done Clark, those are gorgeous and well established. I’m glad they survived the loss of the tree. Are you worried at all about their resilience going into the summer?

Well done Clark, those are gorgeous and well established. I’m glad they survived the loss of the tree. Are you worried at all about their resilience going into the summer?
I am also curious about this- would they benefit from a shade cloth? Or are they resilient enough to be fine?

I expect resilience for these species. I will be boosting the pine needle mulch and watching watering. I am replacing the tulip poplars with American Chestnuts. I'm a member of The American Chestnut Foundation and have seedlings of some of the blight and Phytophthora resistant breeding (https://tacf.org/). I'll keep the group posted. I remember seeing fields of pubescens in Canada in full sun, but then Canada …

Back