Zygopetalum Barbel Holm

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie11

Reaction score
Finally she blooms! The leaves are the same colour as the top picture but the flowers are more similar to the bottom pic.

20141113_100423_zpsf1otjp2s.jpg

20141113_100631_zpsgjekcwz0.jpg

That is a beauty! What are your cultural conditions for it?

Um ... er ..... Well, I just pray a lot :rollhappy: I water it and feed it weakly when I can be bothered. It gets full UK sunshine so in other words full shade. I just basically water it when the roots are dry and feed it when I remember. It gets warmth when the sun is out but other than that it has to fend for itself.

I love the dark flowers, and it appears to be very well grown.

There doesn't appear to be a registered hybrid with that name or anything similar. Do you know the parentage?

You must grow very bright, yur inflourescence is a bit short

I grow in a South /West facing window. I am just grateful that after so many years of bulbs and leaves only that it finally decided to give me two spikes. One spike has three blooms the other five. maybe I should move it but it has only bloomed since being right in the window.

I love the dark flowers, and it appears to be very well grown.

There doesn't appear to be a registered hybrid with that name or anything similar. Do you know the parentage?

Sorry Paphman I do not although this link might help you

Ray Creek Orchids

I got it from a nursery in the UK as a plug plant although they no longer have any.

Well, your plant is somewhat a mystery.

It apparently should be Barbel Hohn (named for Bärbel Höhn, a German politician).

It probably should be Zygocolax or Zygopabstia (old name / new name issue there) rather than Zygopetalum.

It is most frequently mentioned on the internet as a parent of "Zygopetalum" Rhein Blue Angel (Aganisia cyanea x Bärbel Höhn), which probably should be Tsubotaara rather than Zygopetalum.

But Bärbel Höhn is definitely not a registered hybrid of any type (nor is Rhein Blue Angel) and nothing seems to list the parents of Bärbel Höhn so it could be anything. It is clearly within the Zygo alliance at least.

It has become pretty common in recent years for Zygo hybrids to be distributed under trade names rather than registered names, even if they do have a registered name. Bärbel Höhn seems to be one of those, and since it isn't registered there could even be different hybrids distributed under the same name - sort of a brand rather than a specific plant. We're well on the way to all orchids being sold just as nameless meaningless pretty flowers.

... We're well on the way to all orchids being sold just as nameless meaningless pretty flowers.
I hate that!!!

Um ... er ..... Well, I just pray a lot :rollhappy: I water it and feed it weakly when I can be bothered. It gets full UK sunshine so in other words full shade. I just basically water it when the roots are dry and feed it when I remember. It gets warmth when the sun is out but other than that it has to fend for itself.

Thanks, Susie. We call that benign neglect... :)

Well, your plant is somewhat a mystery.

It apparently should be Barbel Hohn (named for Bärbel Höhn, a German politician).

It probably should be Zygocolax or Zygopabstia (old name / new name issue there) rather than Zygopetalum.

It is most frequently mentioned on the internet as a parent of "Zygopetalum" Rhein Blue Angel (Aganisia cyanea x Bärbel Höhn), which probably should be Tsubotaara rather than Zygopetalum.

But Bärbel Höhn is definitely not a registered hybrid of any type (nor is Rhein Blue Angel) and nothing seems to list the parents of Bärbel Höhn so it could be anything. It is clearly within the Zygo alliance at least.

It has become pretty common in recent years for Zygo hybrids to be distributed under trade names rather than registered names, even if they do have a registered name. Bärbel Höhn seems to be one of those, and since it isn't registered there could even be different hybrids distributed under the same name - sort of a brand rather than a specific plant. We're well on the way to all orchids being sold just as nameless meaningless pretty flowers.

Thanks for the info Paphmadman. I have just found the invoice and it is actually a Zygopetalum Barbel Holn - according to them. Whatever it is, it sure does smell nice :) That's good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back