Zygoneria, first flowering

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Hi all, I have seen a number of these plants in flower but never had one myself until I won a raffle at one of the clubs I belong to. This is a first flowering seedling of Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows.
One pic of the single flower and one of the spike. Its not a big plant but it did through 4 flowers. Looks like it will be nice n a big plant.
ZgaAMW2.jpg

ZgaAMW3.jpg

Hi all, YES, this has a "perfume" unlike any zygopetalum or Catt etc that I have encountered before. It is noticeable at a distance yet not overpowering close up. Its robust but pleasant. Adelaide Orchids, formally of Australia, now in Bali, website, www.milobaliadelaideorchids.com is renowned for these and related hybrids. Have a look at their site. This plant won't be going anywhere in a hurry. Might have to clone it.

Roy, It's beautiful.

I have started to become interested in Zygos. I find they are easy to grow and flower well for me.

I also love the Adelaide site.

What do you have yours growing in? I have mine in a 2/3 cocoa fiber, 1/3 perlite, mix but just for fun I put one in S/H and that one is doing great. I just planted the cocoa fiber-perlite plants so I'm not likely to redo them soon but will compare the two growing side by side. I may do one or two more in S/H to have a fair trial. They are growing under a 4 bulb 48 inch unit in my basement. I don't think I will put them outside this summer because it takes a lot of work for me (I walk with a cane) to carry them upstairs.

I love the fragrance when they bloom.

Roy said:
Hi all, YES, this has a "perfume" unlike any zygopetalum or Catt etc that I have encountered before. It is noticeable at a distance yet not overpowering close up. Its robust but pleasant. Adelaide Orchids, formally of Australia, now in Bali, website, www.milobaliadelaideorchids.com is renowned for these and related hybrids. Have a look at their site. This plant won't be going anywhere in a hurry. Might have to clone it.
My understanding, from Stephen Monkhouse, is that Zygos don't clone well. You might try selfing it, though.

Dot, the cloning from what I have seen here is not a problem unless, like all orchid cloning, too many are done from too few tissue samples. I see a problem here with selfings. I saw a batch of Zygo Blackii 'Negus' and also a batch of Zygo Artur Elle selfings flower and NONE came up with the qualities of either plant. They lost all the color and shape plus the vigour of the plants was absent. They all tended to look like a good Z. mackayi.
Blackii 'Negus' is so deep in burgundy and the Artur Elle a deep burgundy brown and to see the results one would think they had the wrong labels in them. The clones of each vary in qualty and color but are always visually what they are supposed to be. Some of the Artur Elle have flowered better than the original.
I know Stephan and his dad well and their orchid history so it surprizes me to read his comments to you.
Roy

Roy said:
Dot, the cloning from what I have seen here is not a problem unless, like all orchid cloning, too many are done from too few tissue samples. I see a problem here with selfings. I saw a batch of Zygo Blackii 'Negus' and also a batch of Zygo Artur Elle selfings flower and NONE came up with the qualities of either plant. They lost all the color and shape plus the vigour of the plants was absent. They all tended to look like a good Z. mackayi.
Blackii 'Negus' is so deep in burgundy and the Artur Elle a deep burgundy brown and to see the results one would think they had the wrong labels in them. The clones of each vary in qualty and color but are always visually what they are supposed to be. Some of the Artur Elle have flowered better than the original.
I know Stephan and his dad well and their orchid history so it surprizes me to read his comments to you.
Roy
Stephen was here for "Zygomania" at Porter's Orchids a few years ago. So my memory of that event is several years old. That is what I remember him saying, but perhaps I misunderstood. If you are in touch with him, you know better than I what is possible now.

At any rate, if you can clone this plant, you will certainly have great offspring.

Latest posts

Back