Zieckianum, final shots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Opened for today(flowers of this group usually never open fully)
Leaf pattern for Tom.

Attachments

• Resize of zieckia1.jpg
    Resize of zieckia1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Resize of zieckia2.jpg
    Resize of zieckia2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Resize of zieckia3.jpg
    Resize of zieckia3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Resize of zieckia4.jpg
    Resize of zieckia4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 51
I noticed in connection of this group that blooming causes many efforts for plant. Plant wich is completely healthy and grows fine till blooming(this one is mine for 2 years) begins to suffer during flowering period(as violascens). So I decide I will cut flower within few days.

Last edited:
Really lovely bloom of a rare species - way to go.
It's a wise decition to cut the flower within a few days. This will help the plant to keep strong enough for a new shoot!!

Very beautiful and rare.

I've been trying to wrap my mind around the related species papuanum and wentworthianum. How does this plant fit into those species' descriptions? Is it a synonym or is it a distinct species?

Very beautiful and rare.

I've been trying to wrap my mind around the related species papuanum and wentworthianum. How does this plant fit into those species' descriptions? Is it a synonym or is it a distinct species?

Origin of confusion is that many plants came from Asia mislabelled as "papuanum", however they are really violascens.Other cause of confusion is that papuanum was described as "zieckianum", but these two species are the same. Wentworthainum is almost the same as zieckianum, plant a little larger, flower is almost the same, too, but there are no spots on the inner part of lateral petals.
I took a pic about leaf pattern. Leaves of zieckianum and wentworthianum just slightly mottled, light green, leaves of violascens darker, mottling dark green with silver white.

Nice one,I like it.In my opinion this one is exactly what have to be a real Paph.papuanum.
Paph.zieckianum, is a sinonym but can be also a darker variants of this one.

Thanks for the pollen,If i will succesfully germinate something I will send you free seedlings or free flask.

Back