Your view point of hp pro mix on phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would add that my experience with phrags in sphagnum is similar to Mikes. i deflask into sphagnum until the seedlings are big enough to move to a 2 inch pot. and sometimes i end up reverting those plants to sphagnum. Michael Kauffman form Mainstreet orchids grows on most of his phrags to blooming size in sphagnum.. He always gets them to flower a season earlier than i from the same flask. (and ya that's kinda annoying :) )

Main Street mike uses a lot of air movement, maybe more than many people might use, so moisture is used faster, hence more fertilizer is used, growing faster.

I have been using Promix HP for most of my phrags for more than 10 years. During this time I have received several AOS awards including a CCE. That said, some phrags just do not grow well in this medium, so I am always looking for something better. This past year I did a large scale experiment with my phrags growing in different media. I have full size plants growing in Promix vs another group growing in Orchiata Classic + Perlite. 95% of the plants did better in the bark and the reason was the extensive root development.

I also grow a lot of seedlings from flask, so I split several flasks between Promix HP, Orchiata Classic + perlite and moss. For most, the moss turned out best. For Kovachii seedlings, the results were stunning. They love sphagnum moss. For many, they grew well in both moss and Promix. The small seedlings growing in Orchiata Classic + perlite lagged behind.

So, going forward, I intend to put seedlings out of flask into Promix HP, but if they show any reluctance at all, I will move them to sphagnum. When they are large enough to move to individual pots, I will put them into Orchiata Classic + perlite. If they don't do well in this, I will move them to Promix HP. If they still struggle, I will throw them away.

I've tried other things in the past, including semi-hydro in Hydroton, but it did not work well for me in the long term.

I'll attach some photos later to document these observations.

Mike
Hello
May I email you directly with questions on flasking phrags?
I Will not be a pest with multiple emails. I am finding difficulty in getting the exact supplies I need?
Thank you
Michael [email protected]

Great discussion.
Can I ask, is HD Pro Mix a soil mix with perlite?
Thanks!
Promix HP is a peat-based “High Porosity” medium. In addition to perlite, dolomitic and calcification limestone are added for pH control. The “HP” is relative, and the medium is far more dense than pretty much any orchid media.

I have used it with phalaenopsis with good success, but for me, you can’t beat semi-hydroponics using LECA for slippers.

Back