Your thoughts on my cross attempt with this Brachy?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GaryB

Here is Muriel Constance x James Bacon, a hybrid of 4 species: bellatulum, godefroyae, niveum and concolor. Concolor has a stronger influence on this clone than its mathematical 12.5% contribution. Because of the concolor resemblance I thought about the recently posted Conestoga (concolor x philippenense) that I really liked and wondered what might happen crossing philippenense with this hybrid. The primary hybrids of philippenense and the 4 species in this plant all turned out nice (you can actually find photos of all 4):

x bellatulum = Phoebe (1895)
x concolor = Conestoga (1979)
x godefroyae = Jennifer Stage (1975)
x niveum = Vipanii (1890)

So I did put philippenense pollen on it. I'd like to hear you thoughts on the cross, how you think it could turn out, would you have done something different, etc.

Thanks
Gary

hku345murielconstancexj.jpg

Good idea! How long do you think it will take to flower, assuming the seeds are fertile? B/W, the flower is very nice.

The results will be quite different from the parent in the photo, but should be quite nice.

I don't know how you can improve on the above flower though. Have it judged!

I don't know how you can improve on the above flower though. Have it judged!

I thought about having it judged, but worried that the flower might be a little old by the next judging date. Plus making hybrids is a higher priority than winning an awards.

The ((Muriel Constance x James Bacon) x philippinense) is a great idea, definitely a cross to make. Also save pollen from the brachy, and put it on the next Transvaal or Vangard you have when they bloom, these two crosses are not likely to produce a lot of seed, but the offspring will be very colorful. There is no limit to the number of different crosses you could make, but when making a cross, both parents need to be above average in one or more desirable traits. It is better to not make a cross than to use an inferior parent. Your (Muriel Constance x James Bacon) is definitely above average, so the trick is finding worthy mates.

Latest posts

Back