Your favorite holiday

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio-guy

Reaction score
As this is a holiday weekend, and we have all had a chance to unwind a bit, I thought it might be fun to share some memories of favorite holidays past, in an effort to get to know people a little better.

Any takers?

One I like to remember was after college, when I went to the UK. I had had a mishap on a motor cycle and was traveling on crutches, alone. I had been touring around to see as much as I could, not knowing when of if I would come back.
I had been traveling along the west coast of Scotland, and was ready to head back south to meet friends after several days of exploring. I stopped in a pub towards the end of the day, and was nursing a pint, waiting for the right time to head to the train station to head back to London.
As I was sitting there someone form a loud group of guys saw me and asked what had happpened to my leg. When I answered with my American accent, the next thing I knew I was having pints pushed my way, and was hearing all about the exploints of the groups soccar matches, families, politics, and more. Time got away, and suddenly I realized the last train south was leaving very soon, so the group bundled me into a taxi and got me to the train station just as the train was boarding. Whew, I made it....relief!
But of course, I didn't have ticket, and as I got up to the ticket booth, I realized I spent the last of my money on rounds in the pub and cab fair. Slightly inebriated, my mind was racing when I glanced down and saw one of those little "we take credit cards" signs. I whipped out my emergency card, got my ticket, and made it to the train just as it was preparing to leave.
To this day when I see those credit card commercials about how they are "everywhere you need them to be" I have to smile and remember the people I met and the commaraderie i found while traveling.

Great story Ohio!

One of my favorite stories is somewhat similar... My roommate and I waited until the last minute to vacate the Univ of Buffalo for winter break. We had little money and could not afford plane fare. We decided to take a train to NYC and another to get us to our homes on LI. The night before we were to leave we pooled our funds and decided we could spilt 25 Buffalo wings... Wrong. When we got to the train station we had only $5 left after purchasing our tickets. Not enough for both of us to get a train to LI.

We boarded the train and figured we had $5 bucks to spend since neither would leave the other in NYC. I still sort of live that way... When the conductor came to our car, we struck up a conversation. He laughed at our story and wished us good luck. As he was about to punch our tickets, he punched one ticket, paused and said trade this one when you get to the station as "unused". He smiled and laughed again. We got a couple beers, traded in the ticket in NYC and were able to pay for our tickets to LI.

Good stories!

I think my favorite holiday memory is from a few years ago when my partner and I went to Puerto Rico. For a few days, we stayed at a little B&B over looking the El Yunque rain forest. One day, we went for what should have been about a three hour hike round trip and got hopelessly lost, but it was beautiful. I finally learned to appreciate impatiens and begonias, flowers I always hated when I was young, but hiking through fields of knee high impatiens can change your mind about them. Anyway, I think we were out for about 6 or 7 hours with not nearly enough water.

We finally got back and Shirley, the owner, was in the midst of having a party, which promptly fed us lots of food and we spent rest of the evening in her heated pool relaxing and drinking rum punch.

Here's a link to her B&B. If anyone is going to PR. I highly recommend it. The owner was a doll, the food was great and the location is breathtaking!

http://www.elyunque.com/flamboy.html

this is one of my favs, dont have to buy presents for people

Latest posts

Back