You can't always get what you want

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Well, after years of waiting, my P. armeniacum has finally opened... with less than stellar results. I grow the plant outside year round, so it is fully acclimated to that environment. I was excited to see two sheaths this spring, and since the buds seemed to be developing well, I simply left the plant in its normal place. One day I came out to find at least one of the half-developed buds to be sun scorched, but the other seemed OK. I immediately put the plant in a more sheltered position, but it turned out to be too late. Both flowers didn't open well, especially the severely scorched one. Oh well, there's always next year, right? :(

With the P. malipoense still going strong:
Parvis.JPG

And the individual flowers:
Armen.JPG

Tom, there's nothing more to say than.....**** happens sometimes (sorry). But the plant(s) look(s) strong and next flowerin will be o.k. furthermore you already cut the flower(s) to avoid the plant(s) wast strenght to these crippled flowers.

Well, after years of waiting, my P. armeniacum has finally opened... with less than stellar results. I grow the plant outside year round, so it is fully acclimated to that environment. I was excited to see two sheaths this spring, and since the buds seemed to be developing well, I simply left the plant in its normal place. One day I came out to find at least one of the half-developed buds to be sun scorched, but the other seemed OK. I immediately put the plant in a more sheltered position, but it turned out to be too late. Both flowers didn't open well, especially the severely scorched one. Oh well, there's always next year, right? :(

With the P. malipoense still going strong:
View attachment 34394

And the individual flowers:
View attachment 34395
That is QUITE a beautiful plant! Size of the labellum is impressive. Can’t wait to see next year. Or…maybe nights in the refrigerator to bring next year fast?

Genuine question, does that actually work? I’m just curious how cutting the flowers now versus later will affect next years flowering. I’ve seen this mentioned on the forum but never know why.

Good question. I'm not a plant physiologist so I can't say for sure, but long lived flowers like these definitely take some energy to maintain. That said, given their weaken state they probably wouldn't have survived very long anyway. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can respond better.

That is QUITE a beautiful plant! Size of the labellum is impressive. Can’t wait to see next year. Or…maybe nights in the refrigerator to bring next year fast?

The natural refrigerator starts around November when night temperatures begin to fall below 50 F. From December thru most of February temperatures range from 25 - 48 F with an average around 45 F I'd guess. That should be plenty cold. What I should have done was to take the plant inside once the buds started to form in early April. The vagaries of spring weather got the best of these flowers, so my bad!

I'm not a plant physiologist so I can't say for sure, but long lived flowers like these definitely take some energy to maintain.
From what I looked up, it’s basically just as you said. The earlier you cut the undesirable flowers, the more energy is conserved for next flowering season. I was worried I would have to do this to my Ho Chi Minh, but now that it’s around 75% open, it’s looking good

Latest posts

Back