Quantcast

You actually WANT us to.....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
.....talk back! Are you sure? From my experience, talking back will get you silenced.....permenently! Well, what a concept! I'll have to get used to this. Knock me over with a feather. I'm in shock. I LOVE it! Thank you! I don't suppose you forum founders here even own a chopping block, with which to quickly dispatch any pesky members who have the nerve to speak up about what's bothering them. Good on ya! This is gonna be a GREAT forum! Woo Hoo! :rollhappy:

Last edited:
G

Gideon

John M said:
.....talk back! Are you sure? From my experience, talking back will get you silenced.....permenently! Well, what a concept! I'll have to get used to this. Knock me over with a feather. I'm in shock. I LOVE it! Thank you! I don't suppose you forum founders here even own a chopping block, with which to quickly dispatch any pesky members who have the nerve to speak up about what's bothering them. Good on ya! This is gonna be a GREAT forum! Woo Hoo! :rollhappy:
...and here I thought it was just me getting psychic warning PMs from admin (from the "other forum")...must be psychic....how else would he have known what was in PRIVATE messages, and having posts deleted...because I mentioned another forum or made a vendour recommendation...or having my signature removed...because of I my non-commercial website...which at that point only had parrots on. VIVA FREEDOM VIVA

P

PHRAG

This is just FYI. In trying to find "add on's" for this forum I came across a hack that would allow the admin of a forum to read member's private messages. It is readily available and an easy install. This forum will never use it, but I wouldn't put it past others.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
I have suspected for quite some time that PM reading was going on. I was not sure how to deal with it without getting myself axed. I got quite a few "members have complained that...." messages. I was always suspicious that no on was complaining. Littlefrog and Ratcliffe come to mind as others involved who were "reprimanded" based on some of this illicit reading material. Both left the place on their own because of it.

I'm sorry everyone for the hand I had in this, not speaking up until now. :( I know I mentioned to several people who PMd me in recent months NOT to - and to take it to email.

On to bigger and better things, right?

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Right Heather! Thank you! The censorship "over there" was unconscionable. I just wish that the commercial sponsors would realize what a bad thing it is to support such a place. As it stands now, everything that is done to the members (censorship, rude treatment, reprimands, etc.), is officially supported by the sponsors. Do they realize what is going on, I wonder? I know that I have less respect for the sponsors because they support such an abusive forum.

P

PHRAG

I just got locked out over there. I guess he figured out who I was. It was only a matter of time, but I was hoping to tell a few more of his members what he is doing for them by reading their PM's. He also has a plug-in installed on the board over there that allows him to serve up error pages to members he doesn't like. That is what happened to Heather a couple of days ago, and what happened to me just now.

You can see all of the malicious software he is using at www.vbulletin.org God knows what else he has installed.

L

lienluu

Hehe welcome to the club! My account was locked out too!

bwester

Reaction score
I know he read some of my PMs. His PMs to me were as if he consulted the psychic network.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
John M said:
Right Heather! Thank you! The censorship "over there" was unconscionable. I just wish that the commercial sponsors would realize what a bad thing it is to support such a place. As it stands now, everything that is done to the members (censorship, rude treatment, reprimands, etc.), is officially supported by the sponsors. Do they realize what is going on, I wonder? I know that I have less respect for the sponsors because they support such an abusive forum.
Don't be too hard on those sponsors. This thread has been an enlightenment for me. How would they know what was going on if the censorship, reprimands, etc. were all privately done?

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
SlipperFan said:
How would they know what was going on if the censorship, reprimands, etc. were all privately done?
That's absolutely something to remember to consider here.
The fact that several of you mentioned things in this thread that I wasn't sure whether other people were noticing or not has been eye opening for me as well. Others who have seen this message, may start thinking twice, and also realize that this is not simly a matter of "he said"/"she said".

L

lienluu

SlipperFan said:
How would they know what was going on if the censorship, reprimands, etc. were all privately done?
Right, I don't think you can fault a sponsor for sponsoring if they can't outright know what is going on behind the scenes. Once they're aware of the situation and how they handle it is a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
lienluu said:
Right, I don't think you can fault a sponsor for sponsoring if they can't outright know what is going on behind the scenes. Once they're aware of the situation and how they handle it is a different story.
That may take some time. How will they know unless people tell them, or unless they happen to read this thread. Also, if they've paid money for a certain time period of sponsorship, they will need to "stay the course" for that duration. A commitment is a commitment.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
I have missed all of you... Imagine having this discussion elsewhere. Heck, elsewhere I couldn't even mention that I had a plant I could give away for free.

So, in honor of that, anybody who wants to collect a free Sharry Baby or two, PM me. Not a slipper, but some people like them...

G

Gideon

Nice to see you again Rob

P

PHRAG

Problems we have had with other forums were the main motivators behind being transparent with everything that goes into putting this forum together. If everyone can see what you are doing, honesty is the only policy.

There are two administrators turning the gears on this forum, and if someone has a question about any aspect of the forum, it is answered. If a sponsor wonders why our advertising section is free, it is because this forum really doesn't cost that much to operate. That is the same reason we don't ask for donations. I would much rather see vendors offer discounts to forum members, and forum members spend money on plants, than to have that money go to the forum.

Hypothetically, if a person with a god-complex starts a forum, the worst that can happen is invasion of privacy and manipulation for profit.

C

couscous74

littlefrog said:
So, in honor of that, anybody who wants to collect a free Sharry Baby or two, PM me. Not a slipper, but some people like them...
WOOOHOOO for Rob!!!:clap: How's that greenhouse of yours coming along?

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
couscous74 said:
WOOOHOOO for Rob!!!:clap: How's that greenhouse of yours coming along?
Work in progress, as always. Greenhouse is stuffed to the top, as usual. I keep buying plants, whole collections from people going out of business (or worse...) and never seem to have time to sort anything out. I have about 200 paphs and phrags one collection that I haven't even taken out of the crates I moved them with three or four months ago...

Latest posts