yet Paph. callosum ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this plant as Paph. barbatum but now when she's flowering for the first time I'm not completely sure of it's identidy. The warts on the petals and the stance of the petals make me doubt. Furthermore there are too many pictures of true and false Paph. barbatum in the net. What do you think about its identidy ?

09543_23.02.25_paph_barbatum_o_callosum.jpg

09545_23.02.25_paph_barbatum_o_callosum.jpg

Hmm, does't look like a pure callosum to me as well. I would guess it is a mix of both species...

Hi Rudolf, it is a nice colored flower for sure, but I don't think it is pure barbatum.
For me, sigmoid or more pendant petals are a sign for callosum genes, while in barbatum I am always looking for petals that spread almost horizontally.

Next round is starting now : When I bought this ..... there were two young plants in the pot and though I repotted them I kept them in one pot. The first plant flowered in February 2023 see above and the second plant is flowering now.
Oner thing is clear .... they aren't P. barbatum as labeled but P. callosum or a P. callosum hybrid.
See the current flower here.

10267_23.10.14_paph_callosum.jpg

10269_23.10.14_paph_callosum.jpg

For better comparison I put both flowers in one image.

10270_23.10.14_paph_callosum_2x.jpg

So again ... what do you think after seeing both flowers .....?

Last edited:
For me, the natural variation of the species (in flowers and in leaves) I have seen is divers enough to call them both callosum.
I like the darker one more :)

I always thought that barbatum is a compact species in comparison to callosum.
I think I am seeing two plants that vegetatively are not particularly compact. I am leaning towards the same species, callosum.
Correct me if I am confused but don’t both species flower on tall inflorescences? Isn’t that part of the callosum charm?
My first Paph that I ever grew, and flowered, was a callosum!!! 😂😅🤣😭. Brings a tear to my eyes! Beautiful.

Last edited:
I always thought that barbatum is a compact species in comparison to caudatum.
I think I am seeing two plants that vegetatively are not particularly compact. I am leaning towards the same species, caudatum.
Correct me if I am confused but don’t both species flower on tall inflorescences? Isn’t that part of the caudatum charm?
My first Paph that I ever grew, and flowered, was a caudatum!!! 😂😅🤣😭. Brings a tear to my eyes! Beautiful.
You meen P. callosum .... or did you think of Phrag. caudatum ?
Yes the flower sits on a tall stem at both species ... in the current photos the stem seems to be shorter due to the perspective of the shot.

Wouldn’t it be great if relatively easy and affordable genetic analysis were routinely available to help with these decisions!! Without it, we almost always end up uncertain.
Indeed. You think they both look like P. callosum and all traits point toP. callosum....but in the end you don't have a certainty of 100%.

Latest posts

Back