Yet Another Paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a first bloom seedling I purchased from Paul Phillips of Ratcliffe around 2001 or 2002. The cross is (['Mont Millais' FCC/AOS x self] x 'Sabah').

Paphrothschildianum-1.jpg

Paphrothschildianum410closeup.jpg

Ross, did you figure anything out to help with the growth rate of your roths?

Patience. This one was rather slow growing by today's standards. I got it as a small seedling and it took about nine more years to bloom. Someplace I read where roth seedlings like lower light, so I grew it under florescent lights until it had over a twelve inch leaf span. I then put it in with the complex Paphs until it started showing new second and third growths. I then moved it to the brightest corner of the grow room last summer where it has stayed until it bloomed. There's a large, two growth stonei next to it that I hope blooms soon. Just a plug for the local orchid society: I bought this roth when Paul came to speak at one of the Orchid Society of Minnesota meetings. Society meetings are another great way to pick up orchids, here interesting talks, and meet and make great friends.

Patience. This one was rather slow growing by today's standards. I got it as a small seedling and it took about nine more years to bloom. Someplace I read where roth seedlings like lower light, so I grew it under florescent lights until it had over a twelve inch leaf span. I then put it in with the complex Paphs until it started showing new second and third growths. I then moved it to the brightest corner of the grow room last summer where it has stayed until it bloomed. There's a large, two growth stonei next to it that I hope blooms soon. Just a plug for the local orchid society: I bought this roth when Paul came to speak at one of the Orchid Society of Minnesota meetings. Society meetings are another great way to pick up orchids, here interesting talks, and meet and make great friends.

Thanks, Ross. I grow everything in an indoor plant room using LECA as the media and Green Jungle fertilizer. I water from the top about every day, which I can do quickly with a collection of about 150 plants. I have had a little more success with the polyantha/parvi hybrids than with complex Paphs as I figure out light/temp/feeding. You point out that the growth conditions that work have to be figured out specifically for each person's growing area and conditions.

Thanks, Ross. I grow everything in an indoor plant room using LECA as the media and Green Jungle fertilizer. I water from the top about every day, which I can do quickly with a collection of about 150 plants. I have had a little more success with the polyantha/parvi hybrids than with complex Paphs as I figure out light/temp/feeding. You point out that the growth conditions that work have to be figured out specifically for each person's growing area and conditions.

About the only kernel of valuable information that I gave in my ramble is that if your roth seedling is small, try growing it in lower light than what it will need when larger, gradually increasing the light as it grows larger.

Last edited:
About the only kernel of valuable information that I gave in my ramble is that if you roth seedling is small, try growing it in lower light than what it will need when larger, gradually increasing the light as it grows larger.

I agree. Mine seem to have really picked up since growing them in lower light. Many of my multi seedlings are now doing much better now that I have moved them to lower light.

David

Latest posts

Back