Yet another helenae in bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
It must be helenae season. I bought this a month ago at a show in Portsmouth, UK. There were a number of these and they were not expensive !. After much deliberation I choose the one that looked like a multigrowth plant with smaller fatter leaves than the others being sold. When I repotted I discovered that it was two plants ... which can be seen here in the same pot.
phelenaebudum0.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

the plants look so healthy.
Are they in pure Diatomite?
They are still expensive in the US though, if we happen to come upon them at orchid shows.

Hien, they are in a mix of bark, dynarock (diatomite ??) and chopped sphag, I top dress with dynarock. I mixed in some powered dolomite lime which I will reapply every few months. I guess they would probably be happy in dynarock and limestone. The vendor who sold me the plants says he has seen a plant mounted on a lump of porous limestone (tufa ?) and that not only was it was growing like a weed but that it looked good that way ! I'm not adventurous enough to try a mounted paph just yet but it is an interesting idea.
Cheers,
Tim

Expensive in the US? Aren't they still illegal in the US? Somebody tell me otherwise so I can go get some.

Expensive in the US? Aren't they still illegal in the US? Somebody tell me otherwise so I can go get some.

In this matter, I would like to think that we better all subject ourselves to the famous excutive order "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" that start by dear former president Mr. Lewinsky.
Interprets in orchid language as followed:
Rule no.1.
You "DON'T ASK" the vendors at the orchid shows, where he buy his flasks, seedlings, where he grows his plants, how much he bought them for, and all the zillions of paper work.
(Imagine, all the 10,000 of visitors to the Rockefeller center show, Redland show & other shows starting to ask for paper work at the show, geez, just the amount of paper needed to print the Cites/phyto would kill the whole forest, there goes the orchids' habitats )
As long as it looks unblemished & seems to be fed with a Dynagrow diet, you assume you can buy it.:D
Rule no. 2
The seller may decide that you are a competitor , and not telling you a thing.
The seller may decide that you are an undercover, and not telling you a thing (even if he does not involve in illegal activities).
The seller may decide that you sound like you are a novice and not deserve to receive his precious plants.:D If he remember you face, not only he will "NOT TELLING" you what plants he has next time he see you aproach the stall , he will be hiding them for his other favorite customers.

Hien, I can't believe these things actually happen. I am appalled! PS. President Lewinsky? PSS Don't ask-Don't tell was Bush era regarding gays in the military. [Kind of like Hitler's original SS!]

In this matter, I would like to think that we better all subject ourselves to the famous excutive order "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" that start by dear former president Mr. Lewinsky.
Interprets in orchid language as followed:
Rule no.1.
You "DON'T ASK" the vendors at the orchid shows, where he buy his flasks, seedlings, where he grows his plants, how much he bought them for, and all the zillions of paper work.
(Imagine, all the 10,000 of visitors to the Rockefeller center show, Redland show & other shows starting to ask for paper work at the show, geez, just the amount of paper needed to print the Cites/phyto would kill the whole forest, there goes the orchids' habitats )
As long as it looks unblemished & seems to be fed with a Dynagrow diet, you assume you can buy it.:D
Rule no. 2
The seller may decide that you are a competitor , and not telling you a thing.
The seller may decide that you are an undercover, and not telling you a thing (even if he does not involve in illegal activities).
The seller may decide that you sound like you are a novice and not deserve to receive his precious plants.:D If he remember you face, not only he will "NOT TELLING" you what plants he has next time he see you aproach the stall , he will be hiding them for his other favorite customers.

Much like the plan Kovach followed?

Hien, I can't believe these things actually happen. I am appalled! PS. President Lewinsky? PSS Don't ask-Don't tell was Bush era regarding gays in the military. [Kind of like Hitler's original SS!]

well, this is not related to the topic but, since you mentioned it. I would have to say:
Yes, but don't you ever forget that our king George had declare in his numerous speeches that we are going to give all of those oppressed middle-eastern women their freedom and right with this war effort (I like to think that it is a kind of transferring the benefit from what you don't give at home to other lands, not unlike the outsourcing of jobs):rollhappy:

Last edited:
Much like the plan Kovach followed?

You are so wise Lance,
with just one question, you manage to bring the whole scenario into perspective.:clap:
There is a slight different however, assuming someone will buy one of those helenaes at the shows, they are not going to be re-registered with a new species name though.
I always wonder why all of the nurseries in the US did not get together and petition/lobby the US government to define that all plants in flask (species or hybrids) are artificial created & legalled.

I was zipping thru some book standing in Barnes & Noble; it was about 2 adventurers who went to Iraq, and worked w/ civil action groups. One of the projects was a women's educational center and after it was constructed it got bombed. One man's 'help' is another man's 'sin'.

Latest posts

Back