Yet another first-bloom besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hooscal

This an OZ 'Balance' x 'Curves'.

besseae.jpg

The flower has NS of 85 mm, NSV of 61 mm, and PW of 28 mm. My crappy photo doesn't do it justice at all. The petals are perfectly parallel along their long axes; the color is very saturated and is red in sunlight; and the flower is quite flat. I have nothing to compare it to for substance, but it seems fairly solid. The nick on the right petal is from being shuttled to and from a show, where it won me a trophy. I didn't have it AOS judged because the plant is fairly small and has had a rough year, so surely it will do better on future growths, which it has already started.

In addition to being curious as to what people think of this flower, I also would like to get more info on recent besseae judging. I can't seem to find many FCC's or AM's on the net and none that are more recent than 2007 or so. Do judges consider besseaes passé? :confused: What would a 2n besseae have to look like to get an FCC nowadays?

Thanks for any input.

Nine besseae have got an aos award since 2007, six of which AMs. Your's is very nice.

That is beautiful, hooscal -- excellent shape and color. If it's at least that good next time it blooms, you should have it judged.

This is your first post here -- so welcome to Slippertalk. I hope you'll tell us a little about yourself in the Greetings and Salutations section.

Latest posts

Back