Yes, I Want To Know About CHC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshine

Reaction score
I searched CHC and did not return any results, so I put in
coconut husk chips and got a few threads that I looked through.

Is there an overall consensus? Can I grow epiphytic plants in say
the medium CHC?

I do know to get the triple washed type (like Crystal bales).

I was blasted on the Stemma forum for mentioning it. Told that
my plants would die from the salt and that no one in Hawaii EVER
grew any epiphytes in it. (That was from a grower there, I am not
there.)

This is the most scientific forum, you all will know.

CHC were discussed recently at my orchid society meeting. As people were exclaiming how they had killed their Catts etc... in it a thriving Dendrobium hybrid potted in CHC was being passed around...

If you have hard water which you use to water your plants then it probably isn't a good idea. Because of the fibrous nature of the medium it will soak up water and salts and then allow the water to quickly evaporate, concentrating the salts. This, of course, would be death to any orchid. Of course, this problem applies equally well to any potting medium.

For epiphytes which require more air circulation around the roots, I would suggest you work some polystyrene or stones into the mix to air it.

If you can ensure that this salt build-up doesn't happen then all should be fine. I, personally, haven't tried the stuff.

Where are you? We, and several growers, in the nothern midwest (we're in Chicago) have tried it, but switched out of it because it holds water too long in cooler, "dimmer" weather causing root rot. There is one local grower that makes it work quite well though (Natt's). It can come laden with salts (think where coconut trees live and the entire purpose of the coconut itself- water dispersal in the ocean). It can accumulate salts. BUT a good watering, fertilizing, flushing regimen can alleviate these issues.

Why are you considering CHC? What are you using now? What is driving you to try CHC? These aren't aggressive questions, just trying to see if there's an underlying issue.

IMO, you can grow in anything you want as long as you understand the whole "story" of the medium and it's relationship to all other growing conditions... and you're willing to spend the time and money needed to make it work. So, pick something that works well for you and is time and economically acceptable.

-Ernie

What Ernie says makes a lot of sense.

I personally use CHC as the base for most of my Paph mixes. I then amend it with charcoal, large perlite, and sometimes fir bark to create a mix that dries out in about a week under my conditions, growing in the house. I water weekly with R/O water, using a MSU formulation fertilizer at a rate of about 100 ppm of N. Every 4-6 weeks I flush with pure R/O water with a small amount of epsom salts. The majority of my plants grow under artificial light (both florescent and HPS) with as much supplemental indirect sunlight as possible.

This formulation is not the ultimate end all mix, but it works for me, right now. I watch all my plants and adjust the mix, light, and/or watering when a plant or group of seedlings does not seem to be doing well. Not every plant works in this type of mix, but most do.

Thanks for the replies. Earnie, I am in Alabama. The reason(s) I wanted
to use it - the medium size just looks so chunky, like it would have air
space and bark breaks down.

I use orchid type mixes for other epiphytic plants as well. I have one
hoya in a pot of loosely added medium size chunk and it is the first
time it seems happy. It seems to stay looser because it is lighter.

But I don't want any declining plants. I have a dendrobium that
needs a new medium. It is a NOID but one of the Japanese hybrid
types. Did okay in hydroton but not flourish.

In a nutshell, I want to use it as an amendment and with some things
as the medium....just don't want to end up regretting.

Also, Earnie, water is not too hard, but I prefer rainwater. Thanks!

Hi sunshine,

Just to clear the air, there are folks in Hawaii that use CHC or coconut coir as a base for our medium. As long as it is properly washed/soaked to remove the tanins and salts, it works great. In actuality, I prefer it over bark because as you pointed out, it doesn't break down. Furthermore, it seems to last a lot longer than the bark. I haven't lost a plant yet...paph, phrag or otherwise.

I've switched over many of my paphs from semi hydro to a CHC/Perlite mix. So far so good. Though I wash it, soak it relentlessly before use and I mainly use R.O. water.

Orchids can grow in almost anything as was stated. The can grow without media as well as in tires, rock, cow manure...you name it. It really just depends on your conditions. I'd suggest trying it to see if you like it. Hopefully on a plant that's easily replaceable if you decide you and your plants don't care for it.

It seems very logical to me that if so many people
have not had loss or damage from salt build-up that it
is more than reasonable to use it.

I want to use it. I like it. On some thread I found searching
archives I saw something about soaking it in calcium or
something. Does anyone do that?

Also, one more question:

Is it important to get it from Crystal Company or could another
orchid supplier be okay?

I would ask about the name of the business but not sure if it
is okay on the forum. (?)

I get all my CHC from The Crystal Company and have had no complaints. I soak mine for 3 days, rinsing each day. I add some epsom salt to the first soaking. Here is a link to an article on CHC written by Bob and Lynn Wellenstein on AnTec's website. This article provides good information on preparing and using CHC in orchid mixes.
http://www.ladyslipper.com/coco3.htm

currently I am using a mix of Aussie Gold and a CHC mix from Kelly's http://www.kkorchid.com/1medium_potting.asp#kkspecialanchor ..... I mix them about half and half and it works for me.....though I do find I do not have to water as often probably because of CHC and also maybe the diatomite? I got some plants the other day in a mix though that I am thinking about switching to which was Rexius Bark, Pumice, and Charcoal.....just sort of like the way it looks and perhaps it might dry faster than my current mix

Todd

In my experience, CHC is the best medium I have ever used for most epiphytes...cattleya's, oncidioids, vandaceous, and dendrobiums love it....on repotting, after several years, the medium is packed solidly with roots. On the other hand, phal's and pleurothallids hate it. For terrestrials, its OK as an addition to a cymbidium mix. For slippers, phrags hate it...I gave up on using it for paphs. On repotting, paphs will do really well, then decline. In all fairness, not all paphs..multiflorals like philipinense love CHC...but others like haynaldianum hate it. Barbata hate it....insigne types and cochlo's tolerate it well enough...brachy's and parvis do Ok in it, but delanatii hates it. Overall, I just use bark based mix for all slippers now...but CHC exclusively for most epiphytes. And, yes, I soak it thoroughly, at least 3 times...5 gal water to 1 gal CHC, with the second soaking conatining MgSO4 and calcium nitrate......Take care, Eric

Great information!

I know about MgSO4 (epsom's) but where do you get calcium
nitrate? What are the concentrations for a 5 gallon bucket?

Todd, thanks for the opinion. I'll get the chunk from Crystal.
Any way to order online or do you have to call?

I've switched over many of my paphs from semi hydro to tires, rock, cow manure...you name it. I'd suggest trying it to see if you like it.
:evil:
LMAO! I couldn't even finish reading the rest of the thread! :rollhappy:

OK, I use CHC, I started after some Porthos got a root into a pot of some and before I knew it the pot was full of roots. After all the fervor about salt build up I use less of it in the mix, that's the only ammendment.

Do you notice salt build-up with it?

Does anyone using the washed type notice a build-up?
In how much time?

LMAO! I couldn't even finish reading the rest of the thread!

Oops, forgot the "it". Meant to say I've switched over many of my paphs to it and others grow in....

Too funny. Maybe I'm drunk and I don't know it?

No, I did not but I don't really pay attention to the chemical issues. IMO, the most detrimental factor in Orchid growing is the break down of media so as long as the material stays whole I'm OK.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist messing with your post Candace. :p

I grow most Paphs in it OK, including the Barbata group. I am still working out how to use it best. It certainly is a lot different to bark. I have found I must use much shallower pots than I did with bark. I also use CHC's that are a size bigger than I would use with bark. I mix CHC's with lava rock to break it up a bit.

I find that CHC's initially dry out very quickly. For the first couple of months I'm watering it more often than bark. Pots are drying out within a day or two. But after a while it starts to retain a lot more moisture. Because of this I initially made the mistake of use too small a mix. This was fine to start with but after 6 months or so it was retaining way too much moisture and I had to repot them all in a larger mix. I generally repot in autumn so so that the mix is retaining more moisture come summer.

I find that I get much bigger, stronger growths with CHC but inferior root systems. Which contradicts most theories.

David

Back