Yes! I finally got a humidifier!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bluefirepegasus

:rollhappy: Wow! My husband surprised me tonight and took me out to bed bath and beyond and let me pick out a humidifier for my plants and for helping his allergies. It is a warm mist bonaire and I have it running right now.

I put it in the corner by my plants. I am hoping that the 9 foot ceilings and open living room area where the orchids are won't totally cancel out the affect. There is a vent on the ceiling right above the orchids so I think that maybe enough air on them. I don't know....perhaps I need a little fan to run once in a while closer down to them while the humidifier is on?

And I plan on running the humidifier all the time. My husband worried about mold...but I think things will be fine since the unit isn't on the carpet. I hope the plants will like the new humidity.

Any advice appreciated.

Bluefirepegasus

I would pick up a couple of hygrometers (you can get them cheap at Lowes or Home Depot) and place them around your growing area. Then you can measure the increases in relative humidity, and check the effectiveness of your unit.

the humidifier is about 2 gallons. It runs for 24 hours and then needs to be cleaned. But hey what can I say it is better than nothing.

:)

And yes, a hundistat is my next conquest.

Bluefirepegasus

the humidifier is about 2 gallons. It runs for 24 hours and then needs to be cleaned. But hey what can I say it is better than nothing.

:)

And yes, a hundistat is my next conquest.

Bluefirepegasus

There is a bit of a difference between a humidistat and a hygrometer. A hygrometer measures humidity, and a humidistat controls a humidifying device. Except for some fairly expensive digital models with hygrometer readouts, humidistat's will not tell you how much humidity you have although it may be implied when your humidifier is running or not.

Hygrometers will not control your humidifier, but I recently picked up some small digital ones from HD for about $10 each and have them stashed in strategic parts of the GH. I use them to "calibrate" the humidistat controling my fogger.

......... I recently picked up some small digital ones from HD for about $10 each and have them stashed in strategic parts of the GH. I use them to "calibrate" the humidistat controling my fogger.

I thought it was about time to replace or be able to compare to the old ones. I didn't go digital, went with a typical standard type that has temp & humidity, they were $4 each.

I thought it was about time to replace or be able to compare to the old ones. I didn't go digital, went with a typical standard type that has temp & humidity, they were $4 each.

Yup, at $4 each there is not much excuse for beating up plants to low humidity.

ahhh..I see the difference between them now. I guess I will be shopping when I can for a hygrometer. thanks for pointing out the difference.

Bluefirepegasus

Bluefirepegasus, I had some of the > $10.00 ones form Walmart and HD and when I put them side by side in my light stand I would get readings that were as much as 10% apart. I'm at work right now and do not have time to look for the ones I purchased on line but I will do it tonight. It seems to me that the ones I got were around $14.00 and they had temp. and humidity. Again you can find combos at HD, Lowes, & Walmart but the temps when side by side were further apart than the the humidity.

10% is a pretty minor difference as far as plants can tell.

I work around a bunch of analytical chemists who will tell me that I should be happy with 20% error on the stuff I work with.

If you got something cheap with less than a 10% error rate let us know, but I wouldn't sweat that level of accuracy for $10 to $15.

Bluefirepegasus, I had some of the > $10.00 ones form Walmart and HD and when I put them side by side in my light stand I would get readings that were as much as 10% apart. I'm at work right now and do not have time to look for the ones I purchased on line but I will do it tonight. It seems to me that the ones I got were around $14.00 and they had temp. and humidity. Again you can find combos at HD, Lowes, & Walmart but the temps when side by side were further apart than the the humidity.

I'll have to try putting mine side by side to compare. I have one in the house for my warm growers & the temp is within 2-3 degrees of my house thermostat. In her case I don't think temperature is in question, so does it make much difference?:poke:

Cool
I also like max/min functions for temp and humidity too.

Yes this lets me see exactly what the night time low was and what the relative humidity was at that temp. Ditto for the high in the day, or if I go away for the weekend, when I come back I may not know what a particular day did but I do know the high & low for what ever the time frame was.

I record these every day and then, and particularly with the humidity, I can see when it starts trending down. Then I look for empty humidity trays and/or I check to see if I have pots that are dry.

Yes this lets me see exactly what the night time low was and what the relative humidity was at that temp. Ditto for the high in the day, or if I go away for the weekend, when I come back I may not know what a particular day did but I do know the high & low for what ever the time frame was.

I record these every day and then, and particularly with the humidity, I can see when it starts trending down. Then I look for empty humidity trays and/or I check to see if I have pots that are dry.

I need you in my lab:clap:

Latest posts

Back