yellow natives plus+

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome! it's the pubescens variety of parviflorum; calceolus has been determined to not be in north america. there are the makasin variety of parviflorum in the nearby area but not at this spot

oh, I forgot to add that these flowers were fragrant! I almost forgot to check to see if they had any
* another note as to why I wasn't so keen on getting lots of pictures of the twayblades is that they are often only four inches tall, so getting shots usually means either laying on the ground, or at least on your knees with your head tilted sideways to be able to see through the viewfinder. I have seen angle viewfinders for sale for my camera that would help with that, but haven't decided to spring for one. this spot is quite wet, mossy and in some places pretty muddy (plus some poison ivy in some spots) so I have to be feeling pretty determined to get pictures of them and other tiny ones like them. .. and though i often don't feel like doing much after work, for the right things like exploring or having the chance to find some chicken barbecue while out on the road, I'm ready to go anytime! ;)

I have a "silly" question... which species is this Cypripedium? I tried to retrieve a list of orchids from the area, but without success... then I found that "Yellow Ladyslipper" should be the common name for Cyp. calceolus in teh states, but these plants look a bit different from the Cyp. calceolus I know (mainly european forms)

Yes, like has been said, Cyp. calceolus is the European 'yellow lady slipper'. When the yellow lady slippers were 'discovered' in North America, they were all called calceolus, until it was realized that they really are different. A lot of people still call the North American ones calceolus, which makes things confusing.

Latest posts

Back