Yang Ji Hawk flask from orchid inn not growing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
OIN0012 Paph. Yang-Ji Hawk (sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x adductum var. anitum 'Ace' AM/AOS)

anyone else get this flask? The seedlings in mine aren't growing..they arent dying either but they just seem to be in suspended animation. They look fine and dandy. Of the 5 multi floral flasks I got from Sam over this spring, it's the only one not doing anything.

OIN0012 Paph. Yang-Ji Hawk (sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x adductum var. anitum 'Ace' AM/AOS)

anyone else get this flask? The seedlings in mine aren't growing..they arent dying either but they just seem to be in suspended animation. They look fine and dandy. Of the 5 multi floral flasks I got from Sam over this spring, it's the only one not doing anything.

I almost got this flask!

I know anitum is a real slow grower and your seedlings may have inherited this slow characteristic. Grow it shady, warm and humid and the mix should always remain moist.

It is slow. I bought same cross last year.

Here they are deflasked in April 2014:

paph_paul_parks.jpg

I didn't loose any but traded half of them.
Here is what's left now:

paph_paul_parks.jpg

i think sand is the culprit passing on the slow growth.
i have a PEOY that i bought 13 years ago as a mature two growth plant. it is now.putting out its first spike.

I have the other half of orchideya flask. Not one has been lost but yes they are slow to get going. Not as slow as this Spiderman x sanderianum I have lol.

Idk about the sanderianum parent passing slow growth. My PEOY flask grew rapidly. There were some slow growers, but I bet (if I would have kept the seedlings) many would bloom in 5-6 years from flask. I was at 18 months with some seedlings being chunky 5-6" ls with 4-5 adult leaves.

Sorry about your seedlings Ed. Hmm, they are warm and humid, what type of lighting are they getting?

Idk about the sanderianum parent passing slow growth. My PEOY flask grew rapidly. There were some slow growers, but I bet (if I would have kept the seedlings) many would bloom in 5-6 years from flask. I was at 18 months with some seedlings being chunky 5-6" ls with 4-5 adult leaves.

Sorry about your seedlings Ed. Hmm, they are warm and humid, what type of lighting are they getting?

1000 watt halide ...lighting is not the issue..there are 25 seedlings , chances are, a few would grow no matter what kind of light...and the light I use is plenty good for the dozen older Yang Ji Hawks I have. I got them two months ago ..perhaps i just need to be patient..just weird that everything else is growing just fine

Both parents are slow growers while young so I would expect the seedlings to be slow as well. Just wait them out....they'll grow eventually.

Well, it's been 2 years. I kind of forgot about these ...but I have a few that are doing well. All of these are what survived the first month. Growing in 7 inch pot. Growing them really wet and high humidity with a very loose mix so they can have plenty of air at the roots

23587162358_7e88beeb49_b.jpg

I am going to try a flask of anitum now...it's the only challenge I want to overcome with regards to growing orchids

Latest posts

Back