WWF Himalayian discoveries

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice report, thanks for the head's up. The limited time I spent along the eastern edge of the Tibetan Plateau sold me on the potentiality of new species in this incredible region. We found 1 new species of orchid during that trip, along with one that couldn't be matched to a known taxon precisely, and another a variant of a known species as yet unseen. All three were found by amateur enthusiasts, not scientists.

How do you save it? Good question. Parts of that region are as yet truly wilderness, and the only way to preserve it is to make the decision to do so - no new human habitation in the core areas, no human immigration, resource use limited to subsistence of the local population, no invasive infrastructure (esp. roads and dams), and so on. The probable future reality will be something else I think.

I dearly hope that the conditions the plants are growing in
will be far too harsh to allow a lot of human traffic...and that includes scientists who do a lot of tramping around
undisturbed areas.

I dearly hope that the conditions the plants are growing in
will be far too harsh to allow a lot of human traffic...and that includes scientists who do a lot of tramping around
undisturbed areas.

Some unnamed research areas I've seen with limited bounce back capabilities from traffic have a trodden look to them, but with deer present hard to tell if damage just from people or a combo. Hope discoveries can be saved somehow

Back