Would you consisder paph delenatii multiflorals?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good BaoDai. If you go to TIOS, bring some flasks, I ll buy them. Last year I bought a flask of vini delenatii from Ching Hwa (Dennis Kao). Don't really know what he meant with vini, but he said it is a strain with dark coloring. Please let me know. I have also asked Xavier Garreau from Hanoi. Don't know if he has flasks. Are you from Thailand or Vietnam???

i thought that the multiple flower traits were mostly introduced by selective breeding of plants with a higher than typical number of flowers for the species, that and plants grown in good conditions can occasionally put off more...then again, this is entirely speculative....

No

You need to go back to field descriptions of wild plants that the general taxonomy was based on. Philippinense was producing 3 or more flowers (5-7), and callosum was producing 1 or 2 per spike before their "discovery" by Europeans in the 1800's. In or out of the greenhouses. Orchid shows and judging go back just about as far back as orchids Western debut, which predates most selective breeding and hybridization.

But orchid judging classes are only loosely based on classification especially in consideration of hybrids (which are not shown and judged with species).

There is more to a Coryopetalum than just its multifloral trait. So a population (cultivated or natural) of 3 flowered delenatii will not get reclassified as a Coryopetalum. No one will stop you from entering a 3 flowered delenatii in the multifloral species class of an orchid show, show classes do not define taxonomy, and it will probably not win that class when compared to Coryo (or Pardalo) entries.

The purpose of the orchid show class was to provide an even playing field for competition of the myriad forms of orchid "expression", and was never meant to enforce or develop systematics or taxonomy.

No

You need to go back to field descriptions of wild plants that the general taxonomy was based on. Philippinense was producing 3 or more flowers (5-7), and callosum was producing 1 or 2 per spike before their "discovery" by Europeans in the 1800's. In or out of the greenhouses. Orchid shows and judging go back just about as far back as orchids Western debut, which predates most selective breeding and hybridization....

cool!
thanks.
any suggestions where to look for field descriptions or do i just google 'field description paphiopedilum philippinense'?

{well, i tried the google search and didn't have any luck}

I wouldn't consider it to be a multifloral just because of delenatii's different cultural requirements. But, I would be quite happy if I could get more than one bloom from a spike on delenatii! Nice!

cool!
thanks.
any suggestions where to look for field descriptions or do i just google 'field description paphiopedilum philippinense'?

{well, i tried the google search and didn't have any luck}

I haven't had much trouble in finding either the type or field descriptions in books like Cribb's, Birk's, or Averyanov's.

The Type descriptions can be very old (1800's) but may be updated if info has improved. It also may be based on a preserved or pressed specimen. It's not always easy to find the reference for what gets put into the authors books.

I'm presently looking at the description for P. glanduliferum in Cribb's 2nd edition on Paphs (1998):
Leaves up to 40 cm long 3-5.5cm wide
Inflorescence 2-5 flowered.......

Latest posts

Back