World cup soccer thread continued

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re-watched the Dutch v Spain game - the Dutch will win this tournament if they keep playing so well. The Spanish were an embarrassment. Even the Aussies played with more spirit.

You are pretty tough on the Spanish Stephen. If they scored that goal at the end of the first half (as they should have) to go up 2:0 they probably win that match. The Dutch played a great 2nd half.

Yea, maybe, but they were not good. Still think, on form, the Dutch will go all the way.

Maybe. There is such a random element with soccer who can tell - bounce of the ball, referee decisions, penalty shootouts etc. There is so much left to chance. I thought Greece had the better of todays game and they ended losing on a penalty shootout. As well as skill, you need a bit of luck to win the soccer World Cup. I reckon if you were to replay the World Cup over again you could come up with an entirely different result.

Feeling proud and disappointed for our national team!!! Greece deserved to win, but obviously this is football.

Wonderful Algeria but as told Gary Lineker: "Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win" :p

I hope Gary will be wrong Friday against France! :evil:

Feeling proud and disappointed for our national team!!! Greece deserved to win, but obviously this is football.

Yes, a bit unlucky. A couple of goal scoring opportunities for Greece that were a bit luckily saved by the goal keeper. Costa Rica barely ever threatened to score. I felt a bit sorry for the Greek player who missed the penalty. He hit that well but the goaly guessed right and made an amazing save. It was a high quality penalty shootout compared to the Brazil-Chile one where they barely could get the ball on target.

The Germany/Algeria game was a heart stopper! Bodies falling all over the
field and Algeria made such a wonderful effort all the way into overtime.
Tomorrow is USA and Belgium...good luck to both teams. I hope we win.
I'd like to see France win as well.

Wonderful Algeria but as told Gary Lineker: "Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win" :p

I hope Gary will be wrong Friday against France! :evil:

I hope he will be right :evil:

Of course!:p

And I hope too to be wrong because since the beginning of this World Cup, I always said the German will be World Champion.

Into extra time and the Swiss are playing strongly, holding Argentina at bay! A lot of arbitrary play from both teams, but not the result I was expecting after 90 minutes!
All set for the next game, I think it is going to be WILD! USA or Belgium, a hard call, but sure to be entertaining.

I think the Belgians deserved to win the end but the US must be rueing that chance just before fulltime. That was a sitter. Not a lot of goals in the knockout stage with some pretty grinding football played in normal time. But when the games have got to extra time the football has been pulsating. End to end, exhausted players, lost of shots, goals - it has had it all. I don't know why they bother with penalty shootouts. Just keep playing.

On a completely different note, I just wanted to acknowledge the amazing feats of our local Canberran Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon. What a performance to beat the number one player in the world. Nick came from the same tennis club as my daughter and had the same junior coach. So it is wonderful to see him reaching the top. A nice family too. He may not win Wimbledon yet (I still think he is a chance) but grand slam success seems inevitable. As John McEnroe said, the next big thing in tennis has finally arrived.

*playing "Taps"* for the USA team. Belgium was splendid and kept the
ball possession most of the game. The USA team fought hard, but in the
end, just not up to international standards. There's always the future to
try again and improve. I'm looking forward to France/Germany so I
can relax and enjoy excellent soccer without being too emotionally involved.

Angela, the USA is most certainly in top international form! Coming into the world cup, Belgium was rated no.6, so it was never going to be an easy game for the USA, but they played like demons!

The defense played like demons, Gary, but you gotta get the damn ball
in the goal to win. USA didn't do that, although I was happy that we did
at least score once. I think the US team is going to have to learn to be
a bit more physically aggressive. Belgium didn't seem to mind knocking the hell out of an opposing player as the players being carried off the field
proves. I'm not denigrating Belgium at all; that's the way the game is
played. We have to learn how to play it better...like scoring!

In passing, for the US to advance needs to generate more money. Sports
in America is a money business...ALL about money. We need to have
fans willing to pay to see soccer games with the big bucks. Soccer is much more fun to watch than American football any day and much more
demanding on the players. Get the money, get the fans and we'll begin
to play much better.

Ohhhh noooo, family get together Friday just at Fr/Ger game time and not a tv in
sight! Uh oh conundrum...eat too much or watch the game?

Latest posts

Back