World cup soccer thread continued

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go Orange!
I need to order orange 'Robben' jerseys for my Bostons. No sense in just me looking like a clown, time for the whole family to get into the spirit!

Hey Gary, the US is still hanging in there! Why on earth isn't there an
overtime in soccer???!!! A tie! Egad! I have this sinking feeling that
Germany is gonna asswhoop the US team. Americans haven't been big
soccer fans and I hope this world cup changes that. Go USA!

There is no extra time in the group stage only, as the progression is based on points over 3 games (if two teams are even after the three games, then goal difference is used to determine the top of those two teams) Extra time starts in the next stage as it is a 'knock-out' phase and there can be no draws anymore (even if the two teams are level after extra time, then they go to a penalty shootout to determine the winners). I suspect your group will be decided on goal difference as to which team takes second place.
Each world cup the USA does better, your team is definitely becoming a contender

Now I am thoroughly depressed! That has to be the worst game of the World Cup to date! Awful play, awful behavior and controversial decisions. I think it is time to start watching table tennis instead.:(

Which team (individual player) did the biting???!!! I can't believe I actually
saw that happen. Can the judges throw that player/team out of the
competition? There's no biting even in American football for heaven's sake.
Human bites are extremely dangerous. I got so mad that I failed to notice
who did the deed.

Thank you, Gary. World Cup rules confuse me. You have enlightened me. USA
team needs more paying fans to get soccer up to international standards.

It's necessary to have sometime a bad match to appreciate all good matches we had seen before.

Italy was unrecognizable. No envy, no physical condition. Even with unjustified red card, Italy didn't have its place in the eighth finals.

For Suarez, just one word: OUT!

This evening, France has to confirm! Go!

Any Germans interested in a gentleman's bet?
Perhaps in the form of a donation to the forum?

I'm home. Three hours to respond.

France is qualified but not with charm for this 3rd match.

Now, another competition begins. And Nigeria is a solid team. Wait and see.

No responding Germans?
I am afraid that Germany can never be taken lightly in this sport, as much as I have been impressed by USA in this competition, I believe Germany will gain the upper hand in the match. It promises to be a good one though! I have a stack of mini burgers prepared, a bottle of old No7, some Bradtwurst and some Warsteiner beer. All set and waiting for some friends to arrive for the game. Great evening ahead!:)

Great game. Missed the goal, still have not seen replay.

Hope you folks in other countries have more exciting announcers.
My guys are lame. Felt like a library or funeral parlor.

Germany played a great game and kept the ball most of the time. USA was
o.k. defensively, but I do wish they'd scored just once. However, we're going to move on to the next round...little woohoo. Has it been confirmed
that the USA will be playing Belgium?

Clark, were you watching ESPN? The Brit announcer just about drove me
crazy. I had no idea what he was talking about most of the time. The
American announcer seemed to be holding his breath the whole game!

You want more 'GooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooAL' in your commentary?

It is interesting, in the football codes we have hear, you have several people in the commenatary box as well as sideline eyes. A cast of thousands. In the soccer games we have been watching, it is generally just a single commentator with a fairly subdued style. I'm not complaining though. It is just different.

To be honest, if it wasn't for this thread, I would not be watching any soccer.
So in nearly fifty years of life, I've watched two games. The first was last Sunday.

That being said, I have nothing to compare Ian Darke to, except pro hockey and pro football(NFL) anchors.
Yes Angela, I watched it on ESPN. I think ESPN did a terrible job by using this guy again. Maybe for the Brits this guy is god.
For the first time viewer, he sucks. The others are no better, but Ian is the lead man.

Yes David, I need some 'GooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooAL'.
I remember that fellows enthusiasm. Kind of stuff people remember for years.

Thank the maker for the roar of the stadium crowd.

As with most sports, I think you need to become a bit familiar with the players involved, before it starts to become interesting. I think you need to have an interest in the actual outcome as well, nothing worse than watching a game that you don't care who wins and don't really know who is playing!
I have thoroughly enjoyed the World Cup till now. We have a group of friends, and meet at each other's houses for the games. One supplies the venue, two supply snacks and food related to two teams countries of origin and another two supply drinks from the countries involved. Each set of games has been an eat and drink fest from around the world!

Sounds like indigestion to me! So far, I'm not so interested in individual players, but I do like the team coordination. The German team seems to
have a mind meld (via Star Trek) and work together as a team. I enjoyed
watching them play even though they won. Germany winning...not so much.

Here's the disappointing thing: those long, baggy shorts are merde. I used to watch soccer in college to appreciate good looking legs in short
shorts. Now soccer has gone the way of basketball attire...booooo! ;>0

Latest posts

Back