World cup soccer thread continued

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go fishing

Hmmm, not a bad idea! A little trip to Mozambique for a bit of deep sea fishing sounds good about now! We have a cold front moving in now with expected temps going to hover around -5 centigrade. A warm beach location and some cold beers, sounds good right now.
Angela, from what I have seen and heard, USA did great and next time round will be a lot stronger again. It seems that the following is growing as your team goes from strength to strength.
My concern is, if I go fishing, how will I find satellite to watch the coming games? Bigger conundrum than Angela has!

Clark, you have the right to disagree, but pro football has gotten to be a
loooooong, penalty-dominated game for me. All the recent skull and brain
damage is worrying. Perhaps we should explore less gladiatorial sports.

Gary, rent a boat with a satellite hook-up? Hey, don't underestimate
insulting a family of Scots! ;>)

I find myself at the airport waiting to board a flight to Egypt! A little dive trip to the Red Sea sounds about the right way to get away from the impending winter front which is approaching.

NOT different...perhaps more complex! We're all human beings after all.

Glorious game today between Fr/Ger, although I hoped France might win. Bra/Colo
was a well-played and tough game as well. Gary, you're definitely not going to find
sat coverage under the Red Sea.

The game today was soooo embarrassing. The Germans toyed with Brazil.
I was relieved that Brazil did get on the scoreboard, but too little too late.
Ray, I haven't seen the Netherlands play yet, so I'm not quite ready to hand
the cup to Germany. I am looking forward to the game tomorrow. I'd like
to see some action that's not so one-sided.

Clark, I think you might be right, as the US played that game much as the Brazilians did theirs - too much waiting for the ball - at least the US covered their men more closely.

Angela, I'm looking forward to today's game as well. The Netherlands team is really good, but one of their star players was ill yesterday, so that's going to hurt them a little, and Germany is just a juggernaut.

"juggernaut" is a fine description of Germany's team. I've been trying to
find a proper word for them. I was thinking mechanical or robot-like. I
like your word better.

I watched the semi this morning. There is two hours of my life I can never get back. I can barely remember a serious attack on goal. Both sides were playing not to lose with 6 or more players in defence. It was a poor representation of the code. The Dutch never scored a goal in there last two matches. How could they when they play so negative. You can't expect to keep winning through penalty shootouts.They promised so much early on in the tournament but in the end didn't deserve to go through.

The knockout stage has been pretty dull overall with few goals, except for the Germans yesterday whose passing and shooting was clinical. If there is any justice in this world they will be the champions.

I don't think Argentina can take the German Juggernaut at all. I actually
fell asleep today during the first half...boring. Today is the first time I've
seen a penalty shoot-out. It seemed pretty lame to me.

They promised so much early on in the tournament but in the end didn't deserve to go through.

Often like that with Dutch. First very promising and dissapointing in the end.
It probably lacks too a true team spirit...

After match, Robben told Argentina didn't deserve to win. It's one reason why I don't like Dutch mentality... Because with a little questionned, he could tell that they also missed their match... and they didn't deserve more (and even less in my opinion)

For Sunday, I don't see how Argentina could stop the German machine!

Fabrice, you're exactly right. Germany plays as a TEAM, not a few stars
trying to outshine each other. Germany takes the shots and if they miss,
they just keep shooting...mind meld, I'm sure now.

Back