World cup soccer thread continued

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Gary's world cup soccer thread got wiped so I'm starting it again.

The Australians lost today to the Chileans, but I was pretty rapt with how they played. Take away the chaotic first 10 minutes where nerves played a part and they more than held there own with the Chileans. For large parts of the 2nd half they seem to be dominating but just couldn't get that equalizing goal. They didn't have a lot of luck with the bounce of the ball nor the referee. Given people were predicting they were going to get slaughtered it was more than a respectable performance.

Next game is against the Dutch who played OK in beating Spain. Still I think Gary and Jean must be worried. :poke:

Next game is against the Dutch who played OK in beating Spain. Still I think Gary and Jean must be worried. :poke:

I already agreed with Robert that the Dutch played a superb match!!!!

And as Luxbrg was not strong enough to qualify here, I am 1. Dutch, and then German :)

just hope the coming games will be sport and not referee oriented!!

Jean

Still I think Gary and Jean must be worried. :poke:

Thanks David! What happened to the thread? ..... A Spanish plot to erase all memory of the event.

I am too hung over to worry about anything other than if I am going to survive till the games start again tonight!:( What an epic night, and a helluva party. I can see that I am going to get very little done over the next month, other than setting a very bad example for my staff:p

I already agreed with Robert that the Dutch played a superb match!!!!

Jean

Yes, the Dutch were pretty amazing in the 2nd half. A big turning point just before half time when the Spanish missed a sitter to go up 2:0. Holland then went straight the field and scored to make it 1:1 at the break. In the end Holland could have won by more.

Hopefully there won't be too many controversies with the referees Jean. There have been a few dicey penalties awarded already.

Thanks David! What happened to the thread? ..... A Spanish plot to erase all memory of the event.

I am too hung over to worry about anything other than if I am going to survive till the games start again tonight!:( What an epic night, and a helluva party. I can see that I am going to get very little done over the next month, other than setting a very bad example for my staff:p

Sounds like your time zone isn't great for the soccer. The first game starts at 2:00 AM here which I don't bother about. But the next two are at 5:00 AM and 8:00 AM. I wake up at 5:00 AM every day of the week so it works out well for me. Unfortunately the next two Australian games kick off at 2:00 AM.

The Italy-England blockbuster is just about to start so I will go and watch that now.

..... And too much pit bull?:rollhappy:
But there has been some great soccer (admittedly mixed with some pretty poor), all round a fantastic beginning with some ripping goals!

Dutch were great! Germans were also good. And how about Costa Rica!!
Happy to see USA with 3 points!

Not a big soccer fan..but Washington State is considered the most soccer enthused state in the US. Of course Dempsey plays on the sounders. No doubt the popularity of soccer here has much to do with the previous owner of my former place of occupation (Mad Pizza)..and part owner and GM of the sounders, Adrienne Hanaur...I am sure he's really ecstatic

I may be catching the bug though..we'll see

http://blog.estately.com/2014/06/the-most-soccer-enthused-states-in-america/

Bit of a surprise result from the Brazil/Mexico game! Brazil seems to be a bit of a fractured team at the moment, not the play that I would have expected from that team on home ground.
Tonight Holland vs Australia, a bunch of friends over for the game, so I guess I will be a bit fragile tomorrow morning! :eek:

Dutch were impressive! But often capable of the best and the worst because of mentality and bad amity beetween players...
German impressive too.
Brazil dissapointing at this time.

For my national team (France), I think it's the 1st time since Knysna (South Africa World Cup) and its sad story than France have again a TRUE team with correct mentality.
The level looks like good too but probably not as good as Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain and Brazil.
Next episode: Switzerland, it will be already much more difficult than Honduras...

Bit of a surprise result from the Brazil/Mexico game! Brazil seems to be a bit of a fractured team at the moment, not the play that I would have expected from that team on home ground.
Tonight Holland vs Australia, a bunch of friends over for the game, so I guess I will be a bit fragile tomorrow morning! :eek:

Yes, Brazil haven't been that impressive. They were lucky to win their first game.

Well Australia just flogged the Dutch in the hockey World Cup final. Lets hope its two from two. :)

It is a sporting feast tonight. The State of Origin is just about to start. It would mean nothing to those overseas, but to Australians from Queensland and NSW, it is way more important then the soccer. Go the Blues. :)

remember that Spain have lost only one match ,and I would't say that she is dead,so also the Dutch have won only one match and I wouldn't say she was the best.
German also is strong team,but Portugal was inconsistent.
Italy have won with England but she haven't show nothing of special ,Brasil nothing to do with the glory of the past time,France is more strong than previously .Argentina,Australia;Usa,Uruguay are all that I haven't seen so far so I don't express my think about they.
Anyway FORZA ITALIA.

Too much soccer, my head is spinning! I thought that the object was to fall down before any contact was made, pretend serious injury in order to entice the ref to award a penalty and at the same time to red-card a confused player from your opponents team? :rollhappy:
Roll on tonight, let the party begin!

Of Course, I forgot Argentina... Big mistake because big team!

Spain is not dead. Sure!

For France, we'll judge them after the match beetween Switzerland.

And about Italy, never impressive but always present and dangerous! ;)

I feel this World Cup could be for Germany. This team is built since several years and is now coming to maturity.

Australia played extremely well, the Netherlands could easily have lost that match. Now Spain vs Chile, an important game. I have some good Chilean Cabernet and a selection of Spanish boutique brewery beers. This promises to be an entertaining evening.

Australia played extremely well, the Netherlands could easily have lost that match..

I only saw from Australia's penalty goal onwards. The 2:00 AM start too late for me. From what I saw it was a pulsating game with play going up and down the field with both sides having scoring opportunities. Certainly better than a few mundane games over the last couple of days. Australia just not clinical enough in the end. They had a chance to go up 3-1 in the 2nd half and let it slip. A great performance though. I didn't see the first half but the commentators were saying they were the dominant side for most of it. They could have easily won both games and now have nothing to show for it. That is soccer.

I just have to mention Tim Cahill's volley goal. WOW. That will be hard to beat for goal of the tournament. Cahill was already a household name in this country. I think he has reach legendary status now after this world cup.

Bye bye Spain.

This situation remember me France in 2002. The end of a fantastic generation.

Back