• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wooden slat baskets

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abax

In Remembrance 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for wood slat baskets in 5" and 6" for Phals. and
having a very hard time finding vendors. Amazon has them,
but the quality of the wood is iffy. Anyone know of a suitable
vendor?

I'm currently using baskets made in our shop, but I'm
getting a bit old and shaky to play with power tools.

A lot of hardware stores have square hardwood dowels in various sizes that would require very minimal cutting (basically just hacking them off at length). In the past, I've had good luck simply gluing the slats together with a good quality waterproof wood glue (no nails, no screws... just wood and glue). I have several that I made that way that have held up for years. So it basically requires no power tools, only a hand saw and a little bit of time.

Just a suggestion if you are iffy about power tools but would still rather go the DIY route (sometimes its nice to be able to make custom sizes). The important part is just making sure that the wood glue you get is waterproof (NOTE - water resistant is not the same as waterproof).

The finest ones I ever made for myself were out of plastic lumber, the stuff made from recycled PETE bottles. With a table- or circular saw, the stuff cuts like a hot knife through butter, and will never fade or decompose. Roots still "grab" them, but are much easier to pry off than from wood.

I like the mahagony baskets and plaques from green barn orchids. Good quality. I have found the plaques particularly good for some of our bulbophyllums. My CFO (chief fertilizing officer) and I are still working, so we haven’t attempted to make baskets at home.

Have you thought about using net pots? The ones I have have holes in the rim where you could attach hanging basket chains.

Latest posts

Back