Wood for mounting?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, Thanks for the info. I'm soaking the wood now, and will continue to do so for the next two months or so, changing the water every few days.

From what Ive read, my grandparents have two VERY large balck walnut trees in there backyard, the whole thing carries the toxin. It mostly concentrated in the roots though. I don't add the leaves, the little sticks the leaves are produced on that drop off seperate (i guess it is like a petiole), or the walnuts to the compost pile. I've heard it suggested by Mike McGrath on NPR radio to take the walnut droppings and compost them seperately then use it as a mulch in areas of high weed concentration. Kinda like a "killer mulch"

Beautiful trees, but what a freakin' mess. They put out the leaves, about a week later which is about mid June, they leaves start to drop, the tree gets bare by mid aug, the petiole stick things start to fall, then when those are done falling the walnuts start until nov-dec. These guys drop s**t from spring to winter; great looking trees though.

We still have hostas, leriope, a whole bed of impatients, and painted, maidenhair & ostrich ferns planted around them at the base and they seem to be ok.

wood mounting

Took me a long time to get a photo done. We've been busy this summer and I was waiting for the plant to recover a little.

Attachments

• woodmount1.jpg
    woodmount1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 17
I have had a Cattleya schilleriana mounted on a walnut slab for about 3 years now, and it does fine.

I also have a bunch of long term mounts on locust and thats also supposed to be rot resistent.

I haven't tried pecan but I doubt it would be a problem. Some of the more resinous and aromatic things like pines and cedars may cause problems but I haven't tried them either.
I don't know about pecan either. I am glad to know about locust, for I am experimenting with it as well. There are many locust trees in my area. They use the wood for fence posts because of it's resistance to rot. I saw a recent mount in a friends greenhouse...very cool...it was the thickened vine of bittersweet with more than one vine wrapped together. I have also used old growth lilac.

Back