Wonderful Paph. henryanum cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdlsreno

Reaction score
My center awarded a nice complex paph. Paphiopedilum Pacific Rainbow 'Vinho Verde'
(Paph. Rainbow Sky x Paph. Pacific Shamrock) Paph, Rainbow Sky is (Elfstone x henryanum).

Nice I like it very much. This is Dave S. plant. Paph. insigne washed out all the spots out.

Ramon:)

Paphiopedilum Pacific Rainbow 'Vinho Verde'
3812438325_b6a6083de8_b.jpg

Ramonj this should be the pic on the csnjc site - the one on there now doesn't show the beautiful white color of the pouch!!

This is amazing Ramon. The henryianum, to me, is completely lost in this cross. Is this flower on the small size for modern complexes? What was the award,AM?

I like the contrasting lighter pouch. Very nice! I am surprised that the henryanum x Elfstone cross was able to breed. I have found that most species x Complex crosses are sterile.

Robert

This is amazing Ramon. The henryianum, to me, is completely lost in this cross. Is this flower on the small size for modern complexes? What was the award,AM?
I would have never guessed any henry but it is a nice complex. :clap:

This flower is interesting as the albinistic genes have created a white pouch from a pink pouched species, much as the Paph Pinocchio albinos. This is quite a lovely flower and unique. I would question whether the Elfstone is polyploid or not since the cross is fertile. Could it be a diploid?

This flower is interesting as the albinistic genes have created a white pouch from a pink pouched species, much as the Paph Pinocchio albinos. This is quite a lovely flower and unique. I would question whether the Elfstone is polyploid or not since the cross is fertile. Could it be a diploid?

I don't know, but Terry is using it.

Ramon:)

Based on the size of the flower and the thickness of the petals, I do think Paph. Elfstone is a polyploid (and probably a tetraploid), but I will have to count the chromosomes to confirm this. If you assume that the Paph. Elfstone that was used to make this cross was a tetraploid, once in a while when you cross a diploid species (in this case henryanum) to a tetraploid, some of the gametes of the diploid do not segregate resulting in a tetraploid offspring (while the rest will be triploids). This probably happened with Paph. Skip Bartlett 'White Pepper' as well, which I believe is a confirmed tetraploid, even though one of the parents was a diploid species.
Another possibility was that the Paph. Elfstone x henryanum seedling was indeed a triploid, but sometimes these can produce viable offspring.

Robert

(Elfstone x henryanum has) also been backcrossed onto henryanum, and that's why I asked the question. It could be a fertile triploid as you indicate or perhaps it is a tetraploid which would be fertile. Interesting..........

Very impressive flower, I like the white pouch al lot.

Interesting breeding strategy. henryanum x Elfstone makes sense to me. From the name, Pacific Rainbow, I would guess that cross has colours.
Crossing that to a green is creative breeding.
Ramon, the flower is not that large, is the whole plant henryanum-size as well?

Latest posts

Back