WOC exhibit judging

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some photos of the RFOrchids display on another thread...Peter at the 19thWOC....you have to go to his flicker hyperlink...
the display has a background of rocky pillars that look like African termite mounds, Lots of White phals and purple and fucsia colored vandaceaous
plants.
Over all I found the KS photos more interesting, banks of white phals just don't do a lot for me.

I don't know how to put a hyperlink connection to that thread, but maybe someone else can.
( I am not even sure if hyperlink in the right term!)
Eric

We just got back from FL and the WOC..my vote is for KS:clap::clap:...a lot of thought and work went into that display. The stream with the besseas on either side was sensory overload !! I have a few pictures still in the camera...give me some time and I will post some pics..don't know how good they will be.

It may be a good thing I didn't get to appreciate the rive of besseaes. Frank would probably not have been too happy about me swimming in it. :drool:

Oh yeah, I remember it, I thought "That's a lot of blue vandas!" Honestly I was running around so much that, besides becoming disoriented, I din't have time to appreciate the exhibit displays. I didn't even get a chance to look at Andy's Orchid's display. [Usually my favorite.]

I'm surprised no one has commented on KS' phal tree. It was amazing! I'll try to upload pictures as well since the only pics I took were of KS' display. Frank Smith spent over a year planning his display. In October, he added air conditioning to his greenhouse to start cooling it and covered it up at 4 pm to simulate winter conditions to get the multiflorals to spike. He timed it really well. The number of awarded plants around his display, compared to the other displays, testify to his great growing abilities.

On the disappointing side, Manolo Arias brought in a kovachii for judging from Peru and by his own admission, he moved it too early to the judging area where the temps were too warm and the flower fell off 6 hrs prior to judging. However, he generously gave the flower to a good friend of his here in the States so the friend could use the pollen in his hybridizing.

On the disappointing side, Manolo Arias brought in a kovachii for judging from Peru and by his own admission, he moved it too early to the judging area where the temps were too warm and the flower fell off 6 hrs prior to judging. However, he generously gave the flower to a good friend of his here in the States so the friend could use the pollen in his hybridizing.

Is that permitted under CITES?

Of course, I wasn't there...but by what everyone is saying about the plants that were for sale at WOC, I think CITES was away on vacation.

I assume the plant was brought in for display and not to be sold since all blooming size P. kovachii are still the property of the Peruvian government. Surely INRENA did not authorize the sale of one of the 5 original permitted plants.

Does CITES restrict the exchange of pollen?

I'm pretty sure CITES restricts any whole plants or animals or any part thereof. Mainly designed to apply to ivory and rhino-horns, etc. It doesn't make much sense when you think about plant pollen or seed, but CITES isn't made for that kind of logic.

Anyway, yes, pollen is covered under CITES.

Latest posts

Back