WOC - BEST Parvi Hybrid!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Slipperhead

Well, folks....I've been humbled from the news of last evening.

Four of our VA Orchid Society members traveled to Miami and put in an exhibit at the WOC. From collecting the plants to coming up with a theme to driving straight through...quite an effort. I was set to go but got a chance to get my foot in the door with a new client so I stayed behind.

I got the news that one of my paphs, Paph. Mem. Larry Heuer, won the BEST PARVI HYBRID trophy and a Silver Medal from the WOC!!! I'm pretty stoked! This was the second blooming of the plant and the bloom was larger with bolder colors than the first blooming. It is in a 4" plastic pot with a CHC/Aliflor/perlite/charcoal/oyster shell mix.

Enjoy the pics!

Garland

Paph. Mem. Larry Heuer
dsc02866_std.jpg

WOC Crystal!
2008WOCVOSDisplayBestParviTrophy.jpg

Virginia Orchid Society Exhibit (Larry is just to the right of center of the exhibit.)
2008WOCVOSDisplay.jpg

Congratulations Garland. Well done:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Send me some pollen or I would not mind a division!!!!!!!!!

Congrats too! Looks like your society has done pretty well, there are quite a few ribbons atached to your display.

Cheers, Carsten

YAHOO! YAHOO! YAHOO!
That is ssooo AWESOME!!! I'm so happy for you! VOS has a really nice theme, they did a great job! GONGRATS TO ALL!

"If I die, please don't let my wife sell my orchids for what I told her I paid for them!!!"
I love your quote! This plant is worth whatever you REALLY paid for it!

Actually me too. But many are actually special mem LH. Still cool trophy though.

Well, Garland will have to confirm where he got it, but the flower looks like our grex we sold a few years back, and I took a few of the first to flower to the Paph Forum along with some unflowered ones for sale, and Garland has always been a pretty astute buyer (I remember they sold within a few minutes). If it is our grex, it is indeed true Memoria Larry Heuer made on malipoense with very large, select parents.
An image of some of thhe plants we took that year to the Paph forum with three or four of the MLHs:

paphforum 069.jpg

and a close up (these flowers ran 15-17 cm natural spread):

3786.jpg

I'm just giving G a hard time. However, what will determine the difference between the emersonii and hangianum crosses is fragrance.

I'm just giving G a hard time. However, what will determine the difference between the emersonii and hangianum crosses is fragrance.

I think if it is a Hang cross the staminode shield is different and resembles hang. Also the pouch and proximal flower will be hairy and fragrant. Does anyone else have any info/thoughts they can share on this subject?

Congratulations, Garland. I'll be there over the weekend and I'll make sure I see it. Jim.

Fantastic!!! Congratulations

Congratulations Garland for such a prestigious award. My plant to the back right of yours is turning green with envy (as am I). Mem. Larry Heuer has really proved to be an outstanding hybrid and yours is wonderfully grown as usual.

Back