winter white Cattleya

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsie

Reaction score
I lost my beautiful winter blooming white Cattleya last year to brown rot:sob:. Now I realize I am going to have a very dark winter without it:(. Are there any suggestions regarding a nice winter blooming Cattleya that puts on a good big white flower?

I think carter and holmes had a special on a ruth gee hybrid recently. of course you'd have to grow it up to flowering size. but ruth gee, ranger six 'a-ok' and bob betts are all good whites, imho.

or maybe it was carmela that had the ruth gee hybrid... i was tempted because white cats are my fav too

Both c&h and carmela have bob betts. c&h also has johnette bowers - which i got as an unnamed seedling years ago and its a nice white.

ack! [slaps forehead] it was al's orchid greenhouse that had the white on his Facebook page DPE2350 Rsc. ((Ranger Six x Hawaiian Jewel) x Ruth Gee) huge white in bloom now, in lees burg VA, google for his web page, but i think its alsorchidechange.com or maybe orchidexchange.com

Bullsie, you are costing me money... i got a jose marti at Al's.......... told you i was a sucker for whites

Hausermann's also has Bob Betts. Around $50 (plus shipping) will get you a huge plant with multiple leads. Flowers are like C. mossiae's on steroids and share mossiae's wonderful fragrance (although Bob blooms at the "wrong" time of the year for a plant that's got a lot of mossiae in its background). Be forewarned that it will become a nearly unmanageable monster, vigorously growing in multiple directions, in a very short period of time. IGood luck with your search.

Steve

A dear friend told me his Gertrude Hausermann always bloomed in the winter so now I will keep an eye out for it. Of course, it will have to be a spring purchase, but at least I now have several variety to choose from so should be able to get at least one.

And it is true, the Bob Betts is huge and sprawling. In the new house, I could only keep a few huge sprawlers and it was not one of them. I did hang on to my purple Hausermann's Holiday 'Ishpeming'. But it sure takes up a lot of room. With the new house, I've gone to compacts, which fit my needs perfectly. But I do make room for some wonderful exceptions!

One of the most beautiful winter blooming cattleya is trianaei alba. Even more, one plant usually produces 2 groweths/ year in same direction and all of them bloom in same time around Christmas time.

Bullsie, did you ever order the ranger six/ruth gee hybrid from Al Pickrel? http://www.orchidexchange.com I got mine yesterday, huge in 6" pot. I also got the Jose Marti, too. I mention it because - like Ray - he ships with heat packs. Both these arrived without cold damage, from Virginia to California. Took 5 days, counting a Sunday. The post office must be geared up for holiday packages. A highly recommended vendor.

Both c&h and carmela have bob betts. c&h also has johnette bowers - which i got as an unnamed seedling years ago and its a nice white.

ack! [slaps forehead] it was al's orchid greenhouse that had the white on his Facebook page DPE2350 Rsc. ((Ranger Six x Hawaiian Jewel) x Ruth Gee) huge white in bloom now, in lees burg VA, google for his web page, but i think its alsorchidechange.com or maybe orchidexchange.com

Anything with C. Bow Bells in its background would be a good choice, especially if you're interested in fragrance. This one is C. General Patton, an old Bow Bells cross from 1952. It's currently flowering in my sunroom and the blooms are really fragrant (thanks to C. mossiae and C. gaskelliana in its genetic makeup).

Attachments

• IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5289.jpg
    IMG_5289.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back