Winter at Fox Valley

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom- where'd you get the asian stone lantern from in the third picture?
I got that granite lantern ~25 years ago from a local garden center/produce place called "Tomato Sunshine". I don't know the maker or where it is made. It has 4 separate sections including a heavy wide base, which it is not shown in the photo. Mine is about 1m tall also(edited for more comparison info).

You probably can find more info or a source online.(Edit: took a quick look on eBay and other online stores, most of them are made of concrete..., there is one natural stone lantern made in Vietnam, a really nice one, 1m tall, for ~$900, "free shipping", it also comes in sections.

Last edited:
Linus, read the detailed descriptions before you buy them online, including Etsy. There are a few granite lanterns listed on Esty for less than $100 but they are miniatures, ~6"-10" tall. I am assuming that is not what you are looking for. The large granite lantern will cost a lot more, and unfortunately, there is not a lot available at the moment....

Last edited:
Linus, Tomato Sunshine is not specialized in Asian garden decors. I have not been to the new location and I don't know what they have now...but I was told they got smaller now.
I like garden ornaments. 18 years ago, I bought my bronze frog( a fountain for my pond) in Palm Deserts, CA. It was still cheaper even with the shipping, so not everything is cheaper locally. My giant granite stone frog has an interesting story too--bought it locally in 2006 for $250(the original price was $1200 then $800) because there was a crack on one of the front legs (They fixed it and it is still good). The boulder where the stone frog is sitting costs me more than the stone frog...

Last edited:
Hi Linus
I used to get great carved granite statuary from Northwest Landscape & Stone Supply in British Columbia Canada. They are the North American distributor for the Mt. Fuji Lantern Co.
Northwest Landscape & Stone Supply :: Home
They shipped by truck to the USA. The prices were worth it even with the freight added on. The photo attached is of a couple hand carved (primitive) lanterns from Japan I had shipped to me from Northwest. They were lit by candle at night.
BC89F800-1398-4CC7-9708-151BD41C9D1A.jpegF1A3130C-EAD9-4D08-9AFF-E672990AA811.jpeg

Very nice, Phred. The Canadian company has a lot of nice garden ornaments. I wish they have a price list.
I, for one, would love to see some more photos of your garden if not too much trouble.

Very nice, Phred. The Canadian company has a lot of nice garden ornaments. I wish they have a price list.
I, for one, would love to see some more photos of your garden if not too much trouble.
I sold this property but will post some pictures of my landscape/garden design work in a new thread.
Thanks Phred. I’d love some more marble stepping stones ( I got some when I drove to Detroit, as shipping was more than the product).

http://www.aguafina.com/product/nine-dragon-steps/
https://www.orientalgardensupply.com/basalt-stepping-stone.html
Do you know a vendor (NW landscape and stone doesn’t appear to have it)?
Linus
Those are great stepping stones. I have never come across them in the past. Do you know what kind of stone they are. You could probably have them cut for you. Try a large headstone company... they’re setup to cut and polish stone.
Here’s another site you could check out:
https://www.orientalgardensupply.com/

Latest posts

Back