Will this dream come true?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ayreon

roth1.jpg

Ever since I started growing orchids I have had this dream to one day have a roth in bloom. I have flowered several multifloras by now, but my oldest roth has been standing there laughing at me. Growing, growing, but no flowers... I have tried it in different condition, but no luck.

So early this spring I took it outside and gave it colder conditions than I have ever tried before... that was obviously the magic trick :rollhappy:

I even have a bottle of red wine (an old one from 1973 that will probably taste like ****) that I have written "Do not open until roth" on. It looks like I will finally be able taste if it's good or not.

Now I can just pray that it is really a roth like the tag says.

...to be continued.

I don't get it. Pardon my naivety but what are the stripe things in there between the leaves. Never seen anything like this before. Thanks

Certainly looks like a roth. Hope it is after your wait and look forward to seeing the plant in full bloom, along with those multi spikes. Fingers crossed for you, great result.

Gary
UK:clap:

Sometimes a good joke is lost in translation. Guys, I think newbud was joking because he's also never bloomed a roth either.

Ayreon, that plant looks great! I do hope it's labelled correctly and it turns out to be a really nice quality flower. So many spikes.....it's gonna be wondeful!

I just can't wait for the climax of this dream! The prospect looks very good for a spectacular blooming. I hope the wine is as good as the flowers. Wish I was in Sweden to help you celebrate.

The stripes in the old growth are structures we usually see only on wild plants, in the wild roth, stonei and kolopakingii can make up to 20 bracts in the crown, short and striped, before eventually making a flower spike. I posed a kolopakingii like that a couple years ago. They do it in culture afterwards, but I have never seen any seed grown plant of those species ever doing that kind of structure anymore, well I saw it just one time only out of thousands of plants at many places.

I think the flower quality will be good anyway on that roth..

Back