Will the seeds still work

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hien

Reaction score
I made a self of the emersonii last summer.
I did not pay attention to the pod, and it splits recently, so I put it in a small plastic bag, now it has some mold on the pod.
Could the lab sterilize the seeds to take care of the mold spores, and be able to flask the seeds still? Has anybody done this kind of saving before?

Yes, they could still work. The chance of the flasks getting contaminated, will increase greatly becasue of the mold, but with proper sterilization it could be killed.

Either a longer exposure time to bleach (if that is what your flasker has choosen to use) or a higher concentration of bleach. Also, soaking the seeds in sugar water for 24 hours to 'awaken' the spores could/should also be done. Your flasker could also add a product called PPM (plant perservative mixture) to there medium. It prevents contamination. Works pretty good in my experience.

Your better off storing the seeds in a paper coffee filter then in a plastic bag.

Get them to the lab quick!

Kyle

yes, they could still work. The chance of the flasks getting contaminated, will increase greats becasue of the mold, but with proper sterilization it could be killed. Either a longer exposure to bleach or a higher concentration of bleach. Also, soaking the seeds in sugar water for 24 hours to 'awaken' the spores could/should also be done. Your flasker could also add a product called PPM (plant perservative mixture) to there medium. It prevents contamination. Works pretty good in my experience.

Your better off storing the seeds in a paper coffee filter then in a plastic bag.

Get them to the lab quick!

Kyle

Thanks, I will email them tonight.

Latest posts

Back