Will the real Cyp. subtropicum please stand up!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but in this case I regret shipping of the wrong species because I was standing by for seeds to sow.

Yes, it would be nice if someone would be successful growing them from seed. What I find curious is the ambiguous legal status of such plants - clearly the plants were shipped illegally, so what would the legal status of their offspring be? I can guarantee you that 90% of Cyps in collections today have such roots, whether they be seed grown or established adult divisions.

Would be nice if Mr. Perner would have succes so maybee one day we could get one for making Hybrids.

Yes, it should be interesting to see what comes of those plants. I can't say that I am most interested in seeing hybrids made though, it would be more interesting to see the species maintained long-term since wild populations may not endure in the coming decades. If Japan is any model for what will eventually come to pass in China, there will be few Cyps (or other desirable and rare plants) left in the wild with a few decades. A bummer, but inevitable I think.

BTW, when I asked Dr. Perner how he planned to grow them out of flask he said he had no special plans, just to grow them in the normal substrate he uses for other species. Let's hope they prove to be more adaptable to cultivation than the Mexican species.

Yes, it would be nice if someone would be Let's hope they prove to be more adaptable to cultivation than the Mexican species.

Tom if You sow them You have a selection effect of the genetic most robust individuals out of some thousand seedlings.
Sowing is the best way to get cultivatable plants and the only way in case of sensitive species.

Yes, it would be nice if someone would be successful growing them from seed. What I find curious is the ambiguous legal status of such plants - clearly the plants were shipped illegally, so what would the legal status of their offspring be? I can guarantee you that 90% of Cyps in collections today have such roots, whether they be seed grown or established adult divisions.

CITES only define international trading restrictions of plants and part of plants, not of seeds. Seeds are not part of plants because they are seperated from plants but seed capsules are. So You can ship seeds of protected plants internationally also if collecting is illegal in the origin country. So there is no european law against sowing cypripedium seeds in Europe of protected plants from China.

CITES only define international trading restrictions of plants and part of plants, not of seeds. Seeds are not part of plants because they are seperated from plants but seed capsules are. So You can ship seeds of protected plants internationally also if collecting is illegal in the origin country. So there is no european law against sowing cypripedium seeds in Europe of protected plants from China.

OK, but we don't all live in Europe!:p

OK, but we don't all live in Europe!:p

right Tom, but same in Japan and USA. But we don't all live in Japan, USA or Europe. Most people live in China and there it is illegal to sow illegally collected seeds in China.

Will the real Cyp. subtropicum please stand up!

I think it is on the right way. After 2 years sleeping underground its back again

13633083354_581464eba6_b.jpg

Most imported plants get infected in Europe and decrease to zero within 2 or 3 years, even when they flower in the first year.
I am optimistic because this plant already passed this phase alive.

It's growing slowly but steadily

from 17.01.

13911609397_52f8139bde_o.jpg

same plant 3.5 month later

13911609387_77f5f93cf6_o.jpg

Go baby go! I'm fascinated to see how your plant does. I've not heard of any confirmed success stories - just stories. If you can get it to flower it would be great to propagate this rare plant. Again, I've known a couple people who successfully germinated them, but none are doing very well out of flask.

Latest posts

Back