wild phrag from Panama

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fbrem

haven't posted any pics in a while and thought of some orchids I photographed in Pamama while replying to a recent encyclia thread. It's a division of a local wild plant grown by the park guard/staff at Fortuna Forest Reserve in western Panama. Sorry the pics are so cruddy was much worse at photographing thins then and this was before I really started growing anything, I just though it was pretty cool.

ElCopePicsMay2004099.jpg

ElCopePicsMay2004101.jpg

Anyone know what it is from those subpar photos? Phrag. pearcei?

Forrest

I'm thinking one of the Panamanian variant of Phrag longifolium - Phrag hincksianum would be my guess. Leaf is narrow and sedge like leaves are typical of hincksianum, and the plant size seems right. Phrag pearcei is smaller, less brown, and has a different spotting pattern.

Dear Forrest,
many thanks for the pictures.
It is a Phrag. hartwegii. You can see it at the near hairless staminode.
Phrag. hincksianum is only a dubious synonym of longifolium.

Best greetings from Japan

Olaf

Dear Forrest,
many thanks for the pictures.
It is a Phrag. hartwegii. You can see it at the near hairless staminode.
Phrag. hincksianum is only a dubious synonym of longifolium.

Best greetings from Japan

Olaf

Sorry Olaf, I have not 'updated' my mental list of the valid varients of that group of Phrags. A plant that is nearly identical to the image has been distributed for years as hincksianum in the Chicago area, I never thought to double check that identification in recent years. In the early 1990's that was considered good. I'll hit the books before I give another species talk. Thanks for the alert.

Looks like a dipteran in the pouch, eh? Not surprising... These things look like they would be fly pollinated. Very neat!
It probably wasn't the right pollinator or it wouldn't of died.
i have an odd Q to ask: pouches that collect water, isn't that bad?
In the greenhouse if I get water in the pouch, the bottom of the pouch rots out. That not good for trapping pollinators either! Of course I'm not looking for pollinators in the GH anyway.

Latest posts

Back