Wild Peruvian besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, my flight cost me about $700 dollars from my home airport. Isaias picked us up at the airport and we stayed in a hotel in Miraflores. While in Oxapampa the 5 nights with a large full breakfast ran me less than $200. I might have paid about $80 a night in Miraflores. Food was very inexpensive, especially outside of Lima. The beer was good, the people were wonderful and the Sapo was fun.

We rented a vehicle for out travels and Alfredo Manrique chaffered us around Lima. Now the highway crossing the Andes was hair raising. The road going to Oxapampa was close to being non existent. It was under major repairs and you could only travel it at night when the workman weren't working. I decided not wearing a seatbelt would give me a better chance of surviving on Peruvian roads. It would give me the opportunity to get out quicker if we went over a cliff:sob:

Was the road paved or still dirt? I hate traveling those mountain roads at night! Never wear a seat belt and never sit in the middle seat! What fun!

Lance
Thanks for the great ad for peruvian ecotourism.
I want to inform the ST members a new web page is under construction: www.peruorchidtours.com will be ready by august.
You will find there info about ecotourism with orchids near archaeological sites like Kuelap and Macchu Picchu.
Have a nice week
Isaias

Isaias, Who is promoting the tours? Are you involved with the company?

Lance
That is great news, a besseae that will tolerate heat.

Maybe? Since they are from a lower elevation they should be from a warmer climate. Alfredo did say they are found near waterfalls which may keep the temps cooler than warmer? Time in cultivation will tell. Someone should be doing selective breeding of besseae for growth in warm climates. Maybe this is something Alfredo can work with starting with the new besseae.

I was invited down to Ecuador by Dennis and didn't take him up on the offer. From now on I will take advantage of the travel opportunities. Umm, when I renew my passport :). Were you able to bring anything interesting back? The photos are great, thanks for sharing, Yay besseae!

You should never pass up an opportunity to travel to a wild place. Better start renewing your passport, homeland security can't figure out how to do it and it can take a long time. Visit Peru to see the orchids before time changes all.

I did not try to bring any plants back, just photos, memories and knowledge.

I think that I got a division of one of these new besseae from Chuck Acker last Fall... I believe that he had bought it during his kovachii travels in the region. The interesting this about the plant that I got from him (and he's confirmed that this is typical) is that there is no climbing habit when the new growths form. Unfortunately, mine was shipped in spike but it blasted along the way, and it hasn't re-bloomed yet. Hopefully soon, though...

- Matt

Don't know, was not in flower. But it was big.

It is not in flower but it is big.:p

you say the plant is big?
or the leaf is big?
or the root ball is big?

Since it is not the flower you are talking about, obviously.

Yes Lance
I am involved in a group of profesionals taking care of the tours.
We can advice everybody about Archaeological sites, orchid, birds, butterflies, Gotca waterfall and others, etc, all around Peru. We do not "invade "neighbor countries as other people do without permision...

I was involved in a similar group that the AOS to promoted in the 80' s. Remember International Expeditions?

It will be advertised soon through tourist operators in the US and Europe.

Latest posts

Back