Wild Peruvian besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was in Lima a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit Alfredo Manrique at his nursery Centro Jardineria Manrique. Alfredo had just returned from Moyabomba where he collected his new P.kovachii plants and a few other interesting things.

Probably one of the most interesting was his newly collected Phrag besseae. This should put to rest the idea that P. besseae is extinct in Peru! Alfredo was able to collect one plant in bloom and I'm sure he will put the pollen to good use. Hopefully in the near future there will be wild Peruvian besseae species plants available.

The plants are much more compact than I would have expected and also were collected at low altitudes which may mean they will be more heat tolerant?

Alfredo with one of his newly collected Phrag. besseae.
CJM1.jpg

Flower is less than 5 cm wide.
CJM2.jpg

I think the pot is about 4 inches?
CJM3.jpg

Here is the besseae next to a newly collected kovachii plant.
CJM4.jpg

I also had the pleasure to meet Slippertalk member Isaias while there. Isaias had a lot to say and I'll show something he was excited about along with pictures of Alfredo's kovachii in a later post.

It sounds good to hear that both Phrag. kovachii and Phrag. besseae isn't extinct in Peru!

Anytime you want to go.

Thats just what you would like Lance, an opportunity to silence the s/h resistance movement. :poke:
Viva La S/H Resistance!!!

but seriously, I really like to go sometime. Is it real expensive?

Thats just what you would like Lance, an opportunity to silence the s/h resistance movement. :poke:
Viva La S/H Resistance!!!

:evil: gotta go to plan b :poke:

but seriously, I really like to go sometime. Is it real expensive?

No, it is not expensive at all compared to going on a "real" vacation. Depends on where you go and how you travel. I never travel on buses to save money, time is to valuable. I hire my on cars to drive me around as opposed to taking taxis, but a car and driver in Lima is only $7 per hour. Hotels are $25 per night in the big cities and $3 per bed in rural towns. It can get costly to hire a 4x4 for travel in the mountains depending on where you are and where you want to go, a couple hundred $ per day. Very nice silver jewelery in Miraflores is cheap. Food is excellent and comparably inexpensive. A Fillet Mignon dinner is about $15.00. Airfare from the states to Lima runs $500-$1200.00 depending on the season.

Peru is a very fine place to visit. For an orchid collector or plant lover there is no better place.

:evil: gotta go to plan b :poke:

No, it is not expensive at all compared to going on a "real" vacation. Depends on where you go and how you travel. I never travel on buses to save money, time is to valuable. I hire my on cars to drive me around as opposed to taking taxis, but a car and driver in Lima is only $7 per hour. Hotels are $25 per night in the big cities and $3 per bed in rural towns. It can get costly to hire a 4x4 for travel in the mountains depending on where you are and where you want to go, a couple hundred $ per day. Very nice silver jewelery in Miraflores is cheap. Food is excellent and comparably inexpensive. A Fillet Mignon dinner is about $15.00. Airfare from the states to Lima runs $500-$1200.00 depending on the season.

Peru is a very fine place to visit. For an orchid collector or plant lover there is no better place.

I agree, my flight cost me about $700 dollars from my home airport. Isaias picked us up at the airport and we stayed in a hotel in Miraflores. While in Oxapampa the 5 nights with a large full breakfast ran me less than $200. I might have paid about $80 a night in Miraflores. Food was very inexpensive, especially outside of Lima. The beer was good, the people were wonderful and the Sapo was fun.

We rented a vehicle for out travels and Alfredo Manrique chaffered us around Lima. Now the highway crossing the Andes was hair raising. The road going to Oxapampa was close to being non existent. It was under major repairs and you could only travel it at night when the workman weren't working. I decided not wearing a seatbelt would give me a better chance of surviving on Peruvian roads. It would give me the opportunity to get out quicker if we went over a cliff:sob:

Lance
Thanks for the great ad for peruvian ecotourism.
I want to inform the ST members a new web page is under construction: www.peruorchidtours.com will be ready by august.
You will find there info about ecotourism with orchids near archaeological sites like Kuelap and Macchu Picchu.
Have a nice week
Isaias

Lance
That is great news, a besseae that will tolerate heat.

I was invited down to Ecuador by Dennis and didn't take him up on the offer. From now on I will take advantage of the travel opportunities. Umm, when I renew my passport :). Were you able to bring anything interesting back? The photos are great, thanks for sharing, Yay besseae!

For anyone interested in going to Peru, Spirit Airlines has just started flying to Lima. They have great promotions. This month there were tickets for $59 each way out of Fort Lauderdale. You cannot beat those prices.

With Zach (posted above me) on this.

My honey and I met in a Peruvian archaeology class and I've always been interested in any sort of trip there for the two of us. We don't need the luxury, we just need the romance and time I think at this point.

I know the perfect spot for you. Old ruins with orchids growing on them. No tourists around to interfere with romance. And definitely no luxury! Plenty of undisturbed orchids but the time part of your desire you will need to provide. :poke:

Latest posts

Back