Wild caudatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some images of what I assume is P. caudatum. If I'm wrong please correct me.
The plant is growing at about 1200 meters elevation (4000 feet).

caudatum1.jpg

It is growing right below the upper waterfall.

caudatum-habitat.jpg

Here is a closeup of the same flower.

caudatum2.jpg

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Looks to be Phrag. caudatum to me... very nice shot!

I think I also see some large Pleurothallis?

-Pat

silence882 said:
Very cool!

What was it rooted in/on?

--Stephen

Growing on rock and rooted in about 8 inches of moss. But not rooted to the rock. The roots grow entirely within the moss. The moss often nearly covers the plant 3 or 4 inches above the crown like a mulch. I don't know if the moss is the same as sphagnum moss but it looks very similar.

SlipperFan said:
Looks like it may have been quite a climb to get to it!

The hardest part was crossing the river. But fortunately a bridge downriver made in possible. The actual climb up the waterfall was not so bad. So many orchid and other plant species to look at made the going slow anyway.

Rick said:
Very nice!!

What are the temperatures like there?

Very comfortable. But we were acclimated to the climate. People traveling with us often found the climate on the warm side. Daytime temperatures are usually in the 80's and nights cooler in the mid 70's. This is during the colder dry season. The nighttime lows may drop into the 50's during an occasional Antarctic cold front, but this is only a few times per year. During the warm season daytime temperatures may break 100 (rarely).

Very Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing. And yes it looks Like Phrag. caudatum to me.

Robert

Latest posts

Back