Why oh why? (exul x concolor)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
Yes, somebody made this (Ray Rands, if I recall). It is even named, Paph. Exul-Concolor. Registered in 1907, and has absolutely no progeny as far as I can tell. Probably for the best.

Paph_Exul-concolor.jpg

It is really not an attractive hybrid, but it is interesting to see. Only when we show also these results of hybridizing we can learn more.
It is not good to show only the highlights of hybridzing, we must see also these results.

Best greetings

Olaf

I really like the colouring. In fact I do not understand why this is considered a failure at all. But then I'm a novice and subbornly refuse to be indoctrinated by the judge's rule book.
Cheers,
Tim

My wife says (and don't take this wrong) that it reminds her of a Nubian Goat. That is good because if she can see an animal or some other outside creature in a flower that usually means she likes it.

It doesn't do a lot for me, personally I'd strongly prefer either parent species. But it is ok. A lot of plant for not much flower (I think the plant is in a 4" pot).

I think it is something that needed to be done, just to see what would happen. Pretty predictable. It does kind of look like a goat...

I agree with Rob, it's an interesting experiment but a mediocre hybrid. It is not as nice as either parent, but might bring some good genetic material to a cross. This is the type of cross that was made in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Some became building blocks to complex hybrids, and others were abandoned either due to lack of fertility or mediocrity. 100 years later, this is most likely a breeding deadend.

ORG said:
It is really not an attractive hybrid, but it is interesting to see. Only when we show also these results of hybridizing we can learn more.
It is not good to show only the highlights of hybridzing, we must see also these results.

Best greetings

Olaf

:rollhappy:

Actually, I don't think it looks that bad. Just...well.... like looking at a wall painted in non-gloss white. :)

Latest posts

Back