Why is the Koopowitz "Tropical Slipper Orchids" book so expensive?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf

Reaction score
I suppose it is out of print - does anyone know if it will be reprinted/more available in the future? I love this book, and I am lucky to have access to it in my local library, but I really want a copy of my own :)

Books on such a specific topic (and catering to such a niche market) tend not to be printed in large numbers. As such, they tend to be expensive when they come out. And if they turn out to be popular, the new copies sell out relatively quickly and the price gets jacked up on the secondary market.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know if it will ever have a second printing, although I seriously doubt it. The market is just too small.

Honestly, although technically illegal, you could just take photos of each page and make your own "digital" version. No one would care as long as you don't distribute it.

--Stephen

Books on such a specific topic (and catering to such a niche market) tend not to be printed in large numbers. As such, they tend to be expensive when they come out. And if they turn out to be popular, the new copies sell out relatively quickly and the price gets jacked up on the secondary market.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know if it will ever have a second printing, although I seriously doubt it. The market is just too small.

Honestly, although technically illegal, you could just take photos of each page and make your own "digital" version. No one would care as long as you don't distribute it.

--Stephen

So you are confirming that there was just one printing, and a small one at that? The original list price was US$59.95, but it is regularly listed now between US$200-$400. This is typically only seen with rare/older books.

Sadly, when the library copy of this book is not in my hands, it just languishes in the stacks - but of course I feel very lucky that no one seems to check it out but me (who checks it out over and over and over!) :)

I would never illegally duplicate this type of copyrighted material. I do hope someone will know if there is any whisper of a rumor about it being reprinted.

I think I got mind for $39 Australian when I bought mine. I now wished I bought 10 copies. They sold out pretty quick. You would think this and the given demand would mean it is worth another rerun.

Oh geez. On amazon Australia, 600 dollars. No way. Might as well buy some orchids hahaha.

But I have to say - with the existence of the internet these days, the other option is to just grab photos of plant and flower images of the plants we're interested in - not from that book - but just from internet photos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back