Why is armeniacum such a huge pain?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the mixed stuff...its sold as "bird grit"...but at my local Petland I can buy pure crushed oyster shell in pouches...not as good as the stuff they used to sell, in small cardboard containers..this stuff is a little too finely crushed, but its still oyster shell.

I use about 1/4 teaspoon per inch of pot size for top dressing with crushed oystershell. A four inch diameter pot would get about one teaspoon (5 ml) by volume. It is approximate, oyster shell is inert enough that measurement does not have to be exact. The crushed oystershell available here is just oystershell and it comes in 25 pound bags at Farm & Fleet or the Feed Store.

Interesting thread! Learned so much from the discussions. :)

I've repotted my armeniacums/micranthums/vietnamense following the suggestions given here... crushed limestone mixed with Dynarok in the bottom, live moss on the top. :D

Interesting thread! Learned so much from the discussions. :)

I've repotted my armeniacums/micranthums/vietnamense following the suggestions given here... crushed limestone mixed with Dynarok in the bottom, live moss on the top. :D
You be sure to keep us updated on your setup so we can learn as well!

my armeniacum (the one I posted in the photographs section http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11230) has always been a vigorous grower (I've had it since 2004). it bloomed for the first time in 2006, put out a spike in 2007 that ended up with bud balst due to too high temps in the GH in winter, put out another spike in 2007, that I accidentally broke off, and put out 2 spikes this year

I grow it in a mix of 50% medium pine bark, 30% limestone and about 20% of small clay pebbles or seramis. I repot every 2 years in the spring, keep the mix moist at all times in summer, a bit drier in winter (but not completemy dry when the plant is spiking)

The plant seems to tolerate a wide range of temps : temps in my Gh in winter can go up to 30° C whern it is sunny, and as low as 10-12°C where the plant is at night. In the summer, the temps range is 18-38° C !

The plant is placed near the humidifier, and in a constant air flow

hope this can help

Thanks Lilo,
This surely does help. You have your plant in a plastic pot right? Have you ever tried or know someone who has tried the wire basket lined with coconut fiber plus a mix?

yes this plant is in a plastic pot. I have tried clay pots for my parvis but they dry out too fast in my GH. the plant has 11 growths altogether

No I do not know anybody around here growing armeniacum in a basket.

A friend of mine who has quite a few armeniacums also grow them in a bark + limestone/gravel mix

I forgot to mention that the plant is grown in very bright light, lots uf full sun in the winter

I forgot to mention that the plant is grown in very bright light, lots uf full sun in the winter

I think I've mentioned that amount and timing of light for armeniacum (and micranthum) is goofy for thes plants. On the Antech website, you can see that for armeniacum, peak light intensity is during the winter (colder) months, and light levels are quite high. During the summer months a combination of increased cloud and canopycover reduces light levels.

TN winters are generally cloudy, so I usually start supplementing lighting in the GH to my parvis to make up for all the short, cloudy days.

Latest posts

Back