Why I stopped using babyfood jars as mother flasks...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

This one was ready for replating (at least partially) but I put it off to work on some of my species instead. The contamination appeared out near the edge of the jar and has been spreading towards the middle.

contamination1.jpg

The cross here was Eva Weigner (haynaldianum x stonei), and I was hoping to get some interesting results by using a stonei with a white dorsal.

I do still have another motherflask or two from this seed pod, so all is not lost. I found that the lids on the babyfood jars were just not sealing very well. The Magenta lids that sigma sells are supposed to correct the problem, but I've had such good results with my pint canning jars that I'm not going to bother with the babyfood jars anymore.

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Maybe, but it would be more trouble than its worth... I have more protocorns in the next motherflask than I will use, and it's a waste of time for me to replate them and then have cultures showing up after week becuase they weren't completely disinfected. I talked to Troy Myers about saving contaminated mother flasks and he said that he occasionally tried but that the rate of success was pretty low.

And its a hybrid, after all... I don't get too upset about hybrids :)

- Matt

At least you get germination before contamination:( I've given up on home flasking for a while and plan to send off my seed from now on.

Sometimes you just get a craving for some pureed peas and carrots with a mashed banana chaser.

Don't judge.

Latest posts

Back