Why I always repot new purchases!

• Thread starter Paph_LdyMacBeth
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paph_LdyMacBeth

I have always been told to repot new purchases when you get them home. I am sure there are millions of reasons for this and I usually do.

A few weeks ago I got my first plants of the season from a grower who is known as fairly reputable in my province. I have bought many plants from them before and always been satisfied with them.
HOWEVER, my most recent purchase has me questioning whether I will purchase form them again or not. I arrived to pick up my plants, they were all packed nicely for me. The son was there (I deal with him mostly) an he told me not to worry, he JUST repoted my plants for me yesterday. I get them home and everything looked good, nice healthy plants, and fresh "chunky" medium. So, I leave them for a few days in my isolation room until about two weeks later. At this point I notice that the medium really is not drying out well in between watering and the leaves are looking kinda droopy. I unpotted all the plants and under the top layer of nice new "chunky" medium was POTTING SOIL (or VERY decomposed medium):mad:!

All plants have since been repotted in my mix of choice. It fits my watering habits and it has yet to do me wrong. They are looking happier already. I plan on phoning the growers next week to let them know I was not happy and expect better or I will not be coming back. Otherwise I will continue to repot new purchases, at least so I know what I am getting.

That is tricky...!!! Appearances are deceptive!!! Fortunatelly you did not loose the plants!!!

It's one thing to have the plants in old mix, and quite another to refresh the top with new and then to say they were just "repotted." Very disappointing, for sure.

I'm happy that you caught the plants in time. It is aggravating to have this happen and I'm sorry that it happened to you.

Lucky you saved them,I always repot in the medium that works best for my conditions. If the plant is flowering sometimes I leave it. But usally I pull it out and repot it. That is sad that they through new medium on the top.

Latest posts

Back