Why don't some of you actually READ my book?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Birk

Reaction score
Over the past couple of years I have noticed a great many of the same questions continually asked by people on this forum who have bought my paph book. These questions are fully answered if the text is actually read. I give altitude and habitat data as well as growing tips for each, separate species (for the most part), and in the cultural section you can learn everything you want to know about successful orchid growing in just about every situation.

When I wrote the 1st edition in 1984 it changed the entire process of orchid culture, a fact confirmed by the publication of many new books on many different genera, by numerous new authors who had adapted my own techniques and conditions. Becoming a successful grower of orchids is no longer difficult when these techniques are utilized.

I just find it interesting to consider why some people fail to accept methods that will work, in any place (practically) around the world. I've been to many of those greenhouses and growing areas myself, and seen the results.

Come on fellas, read the text. Be brave. Get more fans, give them more light and water them well.

Be a success!

What a woman Joanne, the 1st to admit it!
OK sometimes I'm a little guilty. Your book does have a wealth of info ....
but forgive me .......
I can't resist ........

ST's Top Ten excuses-
which one do some of you want to use? BTW feel free to add on!
1. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times - convenience - it's easier to post & ask on the forum than it is to read a book!
2. I can't find my glasses!
3. We like to socialize with our fellow addicts!

Hey Lance,
I have your books and they have been a great guide!!! I also have your audio book The Last Orchid Hunter and find it full of descriptive habitat information and adventure. I love the story of the Blue Masdevallia...
Keep up the great work!!!
Andre

I have the first book and still refer to it although several more species have been discovered since. The section on flasking is something that I re-read just yesterday.

Adding to 'TOP 10':

4. I would rather reinvent the mousetrap.
5. "Please mother, I would rather do it myself."
6. Quoting Dr. Phil "How's that working for you?"

--Allen--

That book is invaluable to me. I've read it cover to cover a few times and always look up cultural needs in it.

I'm one of those people who will read something, but I won't believe it or remember it until someone actually tells me so. Its a bad habit.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but sometimes what works for one doesn't work for another. One can't always give a plant it's ideal conditions, so we have to "punt" sometimes, and experiment. Lance's book is a wealth of information, but so is orchidspecies.com, slipperorchids.info, phragweb.info, etc.

I love the book's content and it is on my night stand, I refer to it often!
I also am very impressed with the quality of the printing and binding of the book!
Awesome!
Jim T

I started many of my growing practices just before getting your book Lance, and it validated much of what I was doing. Particularly in the Air Environment area.

That's probably got me up to about 80% of where I want to go, but biology is not infallible with lots of uncontrolled variables. I still have occasional losses and stubborn species that I could be doing better with that I just can't find the magic combination yet. (Even from your book :eek:).

So it doesn't hurt my feelings to post a question or try to respond to culture questions as they come up on the site to try to come up with that last 20%.

though I don't own or haven't read the book, often after reading something it may take a few other readings until I actually remember it! otherwise sometimes it's more interesting to ask on a list or forum. some people may also zip through and look at pictures, and then forget if they were skimming. though if I were to buy the book then maybe I could keep a bellatulum alive and flower a micranthum!

Lance, good point!!:)!!
I went so far creating me an excel sheet with parts of the content of the 1st part describing the species (temp, light, size, requir..), but confess that there are still some pages left to read!!:eek:!! Jean

once you understand that Paph growing is not an exact science then you only need the books for id purposes.........

Lance,

Yes I have your book and I really do like it. I have read it cover to cover and the information specific to each species is very helpful as is all the cultural information.

However, part of the reason I ask questions here is to be part of the community and to contribute something. I love participating in forums and even though I do refer to your book from time to time I also like asking questions of others.

Also, I have checked some temperature information in your book and I get some dispute from experienced growers over this as well. For example I believe some minimum temps can often be lower or higher than those listed in the book. So I am just checking to make sure I do the right thing, I enjoy it when you have responded to my posts in the past and it's also interesting hearing from alternative points of view.

For example I have people (experienced) here telling me I can grow bellatulum in this climate at a cooler level than you cite in your book. I am not saying the book is wrong but I will say that your book is one of many sources I use to make an informed decision. I hope that makes sense.

I am waiting for your cymbidium book as well........is it coming???

P.S. I note someone saying above that it does take a few reads to consolidate the information......I agree, I should have read the book more than once. I also agree with another post that growing orchids isn't an exact science and sometimes things can vary from the ideal and still work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its interesting to read your message above. If you don't mind, I would like to know the name of your book.

Latest posts

Back