why do i kill bulbo blumeis???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwester

Reaction score
what is wrong with me???
I kill everyone i grow and i dont get it???
grrrrr

with all my others... moist, warm
all the other bulbos love it here.
these just rot, turn colors.... whatever, but they all die

I'm new to bulbos, haven't tried this species, but ....... Don't most bulbos like to dry between waterings? If it's rotting then my guess is too much water? I have quite a few that are mounted & I thought hanging them off my mister bar was the ideal place - warm & humid, like you say. The misters go off at 3:30pm & then aren't back on til 7:15am, one with think they'd dry out during that time, but I don't think they do, so I move them, it's every other day under the misters.

Yeah I had the same experience - I've already killed a few of them given to me as divisions -- they never started growing and just dried out with time---

I received another division last year and much to my surprise this one is growing fine !!-- I think this specie doesn't like to be repotted or divided and takes more time to get established.

what is wrong with me???
grrrrr

what is wrong with me???
grrrrr

That sounds ominous Blake. What is the % humidity in your growing space? The cornutum is much less tolerant than the blumei though.

I've hacked off a 1/2 dozen pieces of mine for several folks and they've done well. I've lost several seedlings out of flask from a selfing but the seedlings are much thinner leafed than an adult plant.

i keep them at 80+ humidity. its strange though, i must have gone through 5 or 6 blumeis. yours is still hanging in though.
all my other species love it though... sooo strange. like my dayanum, its in spike now, lots of others too... just no blumei

i keep them at 80+ humidity. its strange though, i must have gone through 5 or 6 blumeis. yours is still hanging in though.
all my other species love it though... sooo strange. like my dayanum, its in spike now, lots of others too... just no blumei

Since I put the swamp cooler in my blumei quit spiking (first time in 3 years), and went into a massive growth phase. Its probably doubled its mass in the last two months, but with no blooming. When I first got it, it grew like crazy for 2 years before its first blooms, so I'm not too worried about seeing blooms again soon. It does like more light (cattleya levels) than many of my other Bulbo species and the area where I have it is also pretty breezy.

Back