Who Likes to Cook

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Charles, what is this bread? The loaves look goooood. If you use an egg wash before
putting them in the oven, you get a softer crust that's just a bit darker. Do the egg
wash and then sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds over the top. Since we use Challah for
everything, we prefer a less crusty top. Your choice, of course.

Bread needs its own thread unless there is one already. It's a world of its own! :)
I love fresh homemade bread, but too much work and I hate dealing with all the flower powder afterwards. hehe

Phred, the meat roast looks great! Thanks for sharing.

LEG of LAMB
This is a special treat for me. I’m the only one in the house that eats lamb and I only by it when it’s on sale. My wife picked this one up for me and it was twice as big as what I usually get since I’m eating it alone... she really does love me more. Lol.
I deboned it and rubbed it with a garlic, rosemary, oregano and homemade pesto and let it set in the fridge over night.
I tied it up and baked it at 325°F for 2.5 hours. Super good...844AE6C9-9AD1-41E6-9E55-1F7ABB2C2C19.jpegFD8D211F-3B14-400A-BDD9-9F15A6A21BEF.jpeg2851EFC1-78BF-4AFE-B642-5157267E3853.jpeg

TRES LECHES
We had friends visiting from Colorado their only request was that I made tres leches for dessert.
I make the cake in individual size bunt pans. Soak them in a mixture of heavy cream, evaporated milk and condensed milk (tres leches) and refrigerate.
When it’s time to serve I plate one up and microwave it for one minute... fill the center with caramel and drizzle some across the top. Top with whipped cream and serve.F5913401-879E-4002-AC03-6A38C46CA906.jpeg9ABA0F34-AB98-4C34-A908-367FFA13E75A.jpegF84440CF-9036-4D8E-A0E9-DDA0A2CCB922.jpeg

So Charles, what is this bread? The loaves look goooood. If you use an egg wash before
putting them in the oven, you get a softer crust that's just a bit darker. Do the egg
wash and then sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds over the top. Since we use Challah for
everything, we prefer a less crusty top. Your choice, of course.

its a basic bread recipe from my ‘Fanny farmer home cooking’ cookbook. Slightly altered, calls for 6 cups all purpose flour. I usually use 2 cups of bread flour and 4 of AP flour

Is it just me or does it seem like it's getting hard to find bread flour? The only ones I can find locally and easily are King Arthur (excellent but pricey) or Gold Medal. Chain stores used to carry private brand bread flour but not so much anymore.

I find King Arthur and wegmans usually has others. I haven’t shopped Whole Foods, usually acme food lion shoprite and occasionally wegmans. Never seen a large assortment of bread flours or I just wasn’t looking to notice :)

last week I received a nasty surprise... I was looking online to find out how to improve the moisture content of my bread. Imagine when an author made the claim that it’s unhealthy to eat hot bread because of sticking to intestinal lining :( and that it would stay moist longer if it weren’t cut before 3 hrs when it had completely cooled (no steam escaping).
What fun would that be ?!
Nice lamb and Bundt:)

Last edited:
In little Corbin, KY, both WalMart and Kroger carry KA bread flour that is excellent and
actually fresh. Fancy that! I have to order yeast in quantity however.

Charles, someone somewhere has to ruin everything.

Southern Greens
This was always part of the menu on 'Soul Food Night' when I cooked in Brooklyn.
Collards and Mustard Greens
Saute onion
Halved cherry tomatos... this time I used some leftover Chunky Style Salsa which also substitutes for the little bit of vinegar I would usually add at the end.
A tsp of chicken boulion paste.
A shot of water and the greens.
Cover and saute until prefered tenderness.20210516_114548.jpg20210516_114646.jpg20210516_114818.jpg20210516_114937.jpg20210516_144705.jpg

In SE KY we have poke sallet and festivities to go with the tradition. Pick very early
poke (or other spring greens), sauté the greens with salt pork just a little bit and
add vinegar/salt to taste. Some people might add scrambled eggs to the greens.

The scallops look sooo good. I love seafood, especially raw oysters with a bit of lemon juice. Don't anybody tell me
anything about the terrible things that can happen eating raw seafood. Idonwannnahearit.

I decided to try something new... deboning a whole chicken from the inside out. I watched a couple videos and although it took me more time than the experts on YouTube it was pretty easy. I left the wing bones in but dislocated the joints and cut the ends off.
FACC3B30-A82A-4109-983D-52C32B1A65F3.jpeg

Next I fried it on each side in a deeper pan of beef fat until cooked through and crispy (about 20 minutes on each side)
D374E426-2CA8-4670-AFD3-9146F643241F.jpeg
63E1F7CE-9B48-4845-A5D8-B4BDCBF91CC9.jpeg

Super tender and juicy and a nice crunchy skin.
806FB69E-4B54-4B69-809C-31CF18B4C349.jpeg

0D5EDA7D-A00E-4BEB-A22A-09B762487627.jpeg

I recently got Jeff Eisner's Instant Pot cookbook and it has been great so far. Clam chowder, lentil soup, french onion chicken, cabbage stew, ratatouille, shepard's pie, lasagna...all in the Instant Pot. They have come out delish.

I can't eat red meat, but I did like the look of the caramelized crust. For folks that eat that sort of thing, it looks like something they would surely enjoy.
For folks that have the patience, I've seen some really good stuff slow cooked in a crock pot. Always smells great.

Back