Who is the breeder that makes all the Wössner crosses?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what Wossner stands for, but the names are stupid and unimaginative. Nothing kills a great primary hybrid more than one of these idiotic names. Imagine if he got to PEOY first--Wossner Sandroth.

Nothing to do with tolerance - calling them all wössner is just as ugly as can be - and surely is lacking imagination !!! but we already have had this discussion before!! Wössner sucks!!

Sadly, I agree regards the boring nature of the naming but then again how many Paph Mishtawayawininiwak's can we have?

Cheers
Stephan

I think Franz puts a lot of imagination into his crosses and doesn't want to waste much energy on the names. And then, you need a lot of imagination to find clever names for your crosses when the number exceeds 100 or so.

People who prefix their crosses In-charm or Booth to the dozen aren't better, but you always know who made the cross (registered, at least).

Who of the famous breeders keeps or kept inventing imaginative, funny, clever or just beautiful and fitting names for his crosses, after he named some after his wife and all of his progeny?
My feeling is that most of the better names are from amateur breeders who do just a handful of crosses in their lifetime. And spend all the years they wait for their cross to flower thinking of a good name for it. In the meantime Franz Glanz is running a business.

Best wishes, Carsten

To be totally honest, I'd much rather have the entire Glanz family, extended family, friends, neighbors, and local transients than a bunch of 'Wössner species1/species2' names.

I don't know... My memory buffers are completely filled with paph crosses already, so I kind of appreciate the tips on parentage in "Wossner Kolosuk". I agree that it isn't all that elegant a name, but I can remember it.

My two cents!

He's a prolific breeder, which we need more of if we're ever gonna get a good idea of the breeding characteristics of the species. And he did make the crosses first, so he can name them however he'd like.

My only objection is with the newer species. For example, of the 8 currently registered helenae primaries, 6 of them start with Wossner. He was one of the first to illegally obtain the species, so he's the first to bloom many of the hybrids. This is unfair to breeders who would like to play by the rules, however absurd they may find them.

--Stephen

silence882 said:
My two cents!
My only objection is with the newer species. For example, of the 8 currently registered helenae primaries, 6 of them start with Wossner. He was one of the first to illegally obtain the species, so he's the first to bloom many of the hybrids. This is unfair to breeders who would like to play by the rules, however absurd they may find them.

--Stephen

I heard the same thing from many people.

Paphman910

I think we have a great community here, we have some really interesting members who are pretty high up in the eschelons of Paph. growing, but boy, I sure wish some of the people we don't have as members would pop in every now and then and speak up and tell us their side of things.

I know, I'm terribly nosey, aren't I?

To give Mr. Glanz some credit, I feel his naming style has improved. More recent crosses have deviated from the normal formula. Stuff like 'Wossner Butterfly' that could have easily been 'Wossner Vietmali.'

kentuckiense said:
To give Mr. Glanz some credit, I feel his naming style has improved. More recent crosses have deviated from the normal formula. Stuff like 'Wossner Butterfly' that could have easily been 'Wossner Vietmali.'

Apart from the Wössner prefix, which I take as a way of advertising, he shows the occasional glimpse of humour with his names: Wössner Armeregina is funny because it is that combination of the two parents which you find so boring (armeniacum x victoria-regina), but translated it means "poor Regina". That is a name with imagination.

So, who of the frequent breeders come up with intelligent, meaningful or funny names all the time? Mr. Booth made Stoned Susan, but that was a one-timer, wasn't it?

labskaus said:
So, who of the frequent breeders come up with intelligent, meaningful or funny names all the time? Mr. Booth made Stoned Susan, but that was a one-timer, wasn't it?

I don't recall who made the cross (and I know you all are going to be convinced I am totally obsessed with this hybrid but) I always thought Paph. Stone Addict should have been Stoned Addict. :)

silence882 said:
My two cents!

--Stephen

Couldn't agree more !!! At that time among paphs enthousiast we even asked ourselves which plant was introduced first ? The hybrid or the specie -

I once asked Franz why he named his hybrid in this horrible way and he just laughed and said it was easier for him to remember the name of the crosses that way- now what is there to say?

This discussion is pretty much a tempest in a teapot. If you make a cross you can name it anything you want, and Mr. Glanz has done so for his own reasons. Just as irritating to some of you are the "Brother" phalaenopsis, and "Acker's" phrags and many more. Just deal with it, and move on......
Crosses are named after places, things, people, cats, dogs, and every other noun or adjective you can think of......

slippertalker said:
This discussion is pretty much a tempest in a teapot. If you make a cross you can name it anything you want, and Mr. Glanz has done so for his own reasons. Just as irritating to some of you are the "Brother" phalaenopsis, and "Acker's" phrags and many more. Just deal with it, and move on......
Crosses are named after places, things, people, cats, dogs, and every other noun or adjective you can think of......
I think everyone in the thread realizes that Mr. Glanz is free to name his hybrids whatever he wants. However, we are still free to discuss them.

Seriously, where does it end? When someone names a cross Paph Go****yourself or Phal Screwpresbush? Not that anyone would. Nevermind.

Latest posts

Back